Discuss Electrical Installation For Extended Kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickRich

My sister has had an extension built to her kitchen which is very near completion. She has asked an electrician to certify the build. (He did not work on the build). The new electrician has told her that all White goods in the kitchen must be fitted to sockets above the work surface and can not be sockets inside cupboards or behind the goods !! This will involve a complete re design of the kitchen which is already tiled. Can someone tell me if the electrician is correct? Seems silly to me that all sockets should be on display ???

THe same electrician has told her that a smoke alarm is required in every room and these smoke alarms must be connected to the power??

Apparently these changes are required before she can receive her electrical safety certificate which has been requested in order for her to get sign off from the Private Building Control Officer that she has employed/

Any advice is very much appreciated as she is going out of her mind with worry.

Thanks Nick

I would ask him for Regulations to back up the socket situation and if he talks of accessibility ask him to define accessibility.

My sister has had an extension built to her kitchen which is very near completion. She has asked an electrician to certify the build. (He did not work on the build). The new electrician has told her that all White goods in the kitchen must be fitted to sockets above the work surface and can not be sockets inside cupboards or behind the goods !! This will involve a complete re design of the kitchen which is already tiled. Can someone tell me if the electrician is correct? Seems silly to me that all sockets should be on display ???

THe same electrician has told her that a smoke alarm is required in every room and these smoke alarms must be connected to the power??

Apparently these changes are required before she can receive her electrical safety certificate which has been requested in order for her to get sign off from the Private Building Control Officer that she has employed/

Any advice is very much appreciated as she is going out of her mind with worry.

Thanks Nick
this "electrician", is his name kermit?

Why did she employ a private building control officer.... the last one I came across simply didn't have a clue and the builders, who suggested them, took advantage of this.

Where is the site?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

The site is in Morden South London and the original electrician was the father-in-law who is retired and no longer registered to issue safety certificates. However working at the project weekends and for sandwiches and cups of tea rather than :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Hi NickRich
I understand you may be using terminology that suits your conversation with the inspector or the mis informed person you have had to do this inspection
"Safety certificate" in case you not aware, there is no such animal in the electrical zoo

All electrical installation work carried out requires a electrical installation certificate or minor works certificate,depending on the type of work carried out
Anyone who installs are free to download these from the people who make the regulations (IET) they display model forms for people to use

There is no problem your father in law doing the work or issuing certificates
Any problems only arise when the procedure of Part P of the building regs is not followed,either informing the inspector before work starts,that the work is being carried out by a n other or its by some guy who happens to be registered to self certify(in this case he doesn't require the inspectors attention)

Your inspector is probably asking for a condition report to satisfy his understanding of whats required,he may have stipulated a registered competent person to do this inspection and for that person to issue a report(in order to replace what should have been issued)its not at all right but I suppose they can wrongly circumvent government regulations whilst telling you that "you" must conform

The issuing of a report is not the intention of how Part P of the building regs was meant to operate,the inspector is twisting and bending its intention by accepting this eicr as suitable (specially when it is incompetent),its no more in line with the government legislation than your father in laws certificates being quite acceptable

And may I add that smoke alarms are NOT a requirement of BS 7671 ........... so anyone saying they need to be installed is not a competent spark...

They might be a requirement for the 'major' alteration of a domestic property, dependant on the building regs application though for the extension.

^^ I didn't say they were, just depends what's show on the building regs drawings, which some eagle eyed BO might spot. Appreciate it doesn't prevent the issue of 'whatever' electrical certificate, but it might prevent the issue of the completion certificate.

OP (or anyone else) can you explain to me what a ' Private Building Control Officer' does exactly? And how does this process fit with your local building control and you extension.

^^
OP (or anyone else) can you explain to me what a ' Private Building Control Officer' does exactly? And how does this process fit with your local building control and you extension.

AFAIK these folks are building control outsourced. They have some cps type scheme and their word/cert is then accepted by the LBC.

Reply to Electrical Installation For Extended Kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net