Currently reading:
Electrician has cut holes to close to joist ends

Discuss Electrician has cut holes to close to joist ends in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JazzyB

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Employed electrician to wire extra sockets in bedrooms upstairs in an empty house. However I have noticed when I lifted floor board up to do other work, that the cables are running through holes close to ends of the joists, not within the safe zones, .25 & .4, as with Building Regs.

Looking for advise on how to approach this, with them.

Thanks
Jazz

Here are the photos as promised, I’am ok with it as long as it not going to cause me problems in the future.

Attachments

• 44981694-1563-42DF-B236-729DCC5E36ED.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 5916F4AD-D0D8-4F41-A70F-3390B6F0BF1D.jpeg
    739.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 88A195BF-E348-43A6-B354-0349AA5F9ACF.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 56
If that was new work in my house, like you, I wouldn't be happy.

There doesn't appear to be a reason for not putting the holes in the prescribed zones and, unless more cables are to be added, the holes appear to be larger than they need to be.

Was the same electrician responsible for the hole bottom left in the 2nd picture?

As I think Littlespark is alluding to, it's not good practice to run a signal cable such as coax so close to LV power cables.

All that being said, my house (Victorian era) has had many of the joists butchered over the years. Notches and holes out of prescribed zones and often very close together. Holes drilled at a 45 degree angle through the timber. The previous owner took a huge chunk out of a joist under the bathroom as they positioned the shower tray such that the waste outlet was on a joist. So far, the floors are still standing...!

The holes do look ridiculously large for the cables, as if the electrician only had one size of drill bit and it was big.

No, wait, big pipe-sized holes whereever convenient, ... are you sure this guy is not a really a plumber?

Last edited:
If that was new work in my house, like you, I wouldn't be happy.

There doesn't appear to be a reason for not putting the holes in the prescribed zones and, unless more cables are to be added, the holes appear to be larger than they need to be.

Was the same electrician responsible for the hole bottom left in the 2nd picture?

As I think Littlespark is alluding to, it's not good practice to run a signal cable such as coax so close to LV power cables.

All that being said, my house (Victorian era) has had many of the joists butchered over the years. Notches and holes out of prescribed zones and often very close together. Holes drilled at a 45 degree angle through the timber. The previous owner took a huge chunk out of a joist under the bathroom as they positioned the shower tray such that the waste outlet was on a joist. So far, the floors are still standing...!I

The problem with deviating from guidance is you then have to qualify your choices.

We all know that there is an --- Cover Factor in many regs but if we venture there the onus is on us to demonstrate we have not introduced a hazard.

In solid, dry and rot free joists, like those, I can guarantee those holes will no be an issue but I cannot qualify that statement.

All I can offer is if it were my house I wouldn't be worrying.

As the electrician has deviated from the prescribed zones ask for his Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment, that he obviously did, to satisfy himself that it was OK to do so.
Come off it Mike. Everyone here, including yourself, knows those joists aren't going to collapse.

To the OP: Of all the sins an electrician can commit, this is about as minor as it gets. Put the floorboards back down, and don't worry about it.

The analysis carried out by a qualified Structural Engineer that qualified the zones specified where established for a reason, taking into account the compression and tension zones within the timber and the shear zones at the bearing end, a Structural Engineer would not dream of telling an Electrician how to do his job.....................................

The analysis carried out by a qualified Structural Engineer that qualified the zones specified where established for a reason, taking into account the compression and tension zones within the timber and the shear zones at the bearing end, a Structural Engineer would not dream of telling an Electrician how to do his job.....................................
I am literally holding my head in my hands reading this

For structural engineer read overkill merchant over the years the ones I've come across have such a high overhead on their calcs the likelyhood of anything happening even in an earthquake is minimal

Id argue the reason was to prescribe a place where notches should be made rather than to say where holes couldn't be made.

Reply to Electrician has cut holes to close to joist ends in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back