Discuss Emergency Lighting (on commando sockets) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im carrying out some work and test on an installation in a permanent Marquee used for weddings and other function.
The emergnecy lighting (only two bulkheads over the doors with legends) are connected to the supply via a commando type plug and socket arrangement, there is also a another plug socket arrangent in the leads between the two fittings (typical marquee company type installation) .... however, Im sure somewhere in the depths of my mind that in BS5266 and BS7671 there is something about this being unacceptable.
Obviuosly its because of the risk of being unplugged, but can anyone give me details as to the deviations and from which regs?

But surely a socket connection for emergency lighting would be a deviation of some sort, would'nt it?
Im not sure if I should insist something is done about it (to be honest, not sure if there is anything wrong, but i wouldnt do it like that) and it should be permenantly connected, or whether i have to note it in the inspection as deviations, or whether there is actually nothing wrong with it?...

No as Farm has explained, the BS5266 does not state you can not use pluged supplies to emergency lighting. Most industrial and commercial lighting is usually done with click connection. Only issue I can see is weather the plugs/sockects are accessable by jo public.

OK, fair one guys and thanks for the advice, I just couldnt see how haveing something so easily removable would meet the standards.... never thought about plug in roses, marshall boxes etc. Fair one... lol

Reply to Emergency Lighting (on commando sockets) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net