Discuss Emigrating to Australia. Help / advice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rohan

Hi everyone.

I am going through the process of applying for emigration to Aus. I am using a migration agent.

I know that soon I will have to get my skills acesssed by vetassess. I was wondering if anyone had done these exams (theory and practical)? If so what do they involve? As i'd like to start revising for them now.

Thanks alot.

Rohan.

Sorry mate, haven't got any advice, but a spark I know moved there and was back within a year saying it wasn't how he thought. I have heard this a few times now ( not necessarily off sparkys ) but it seems the grass is greener, people forget that you still have to work full time.

I am probably stating the obvious and this will not apply to you!

Good luck!

I worked with someone who was doing the same and he said there is a points system in operation and one off the big ones is funds. You have to have enough to keep you going without having to claim off the countries welfare scheme for something like 12 months(unlike this country when you can just walk in and get everything)

Hi Rohan, jumped through all the expensive hoops! and they are expensive! a few years ago and worked there for a year..biggest and most expensive mistake of my life!! if u are going across there for work..forget about it..actually the best advice i could give u is...forget about it! If u want all the details PM me.

Hi Rohan, i would disagree with the previous comments, i moved from scotland to perth WA 10 years ago now and can say it is the best thing i ever did, but you only get out of it what you put in, you will find it harder for the first 12/24 months (I did) but once you get used to the way sparkying is done over here the positives out weigh the negatives, lifestyle, working in the sun, being able to wear shorts to work, then hitting the pool when you get home with a cold beer. The wiring regs are more laid back than the UK, T&E for everything, Red, white and blue phase colours, no armour,steel conduit, pyro etc most aussie sparks haven't heard of half of it, as for the exams you need to do, if you can manage to get yourself a copy of the electrical regs for the Australian state you intend to move to maybe from ebay or online bookstore this will help you, when i sat mine it was an open book test with 40 multi choice questions ,once you pass that you do a practical exam similar to the AM2, small install , bit of fault finding, motor with remote start/stop etc. Once you move over if you can get some labouring work with an electrical company before you sit tests you will get a bit more familiar with the differant fittings used over here and the ways things are wired. Also if you intend to do any kind of comms work that is a seperate week long course with an exam at the end and a seperate license issued. seriously give it a go or you will never know. good luck with it all.

Once u have yr visa sorted, book a place at Peers Colledge,i had my Australian license within 3weeks of landing in Oz,and my comms license shortly after...saves u doing some labouring work at an electrical company!! ffs ...a few good things about the work..the sleeving is already on the earth (clever that), and testing..they dont do it!!

If you want to go to Oz, good luck mate. If I were younger I would be off from this boghole of a country myself, and you cant get much further away from this toilet we live in than going to OZ. Enjoy.

Cheers.............Howard

guys are we saying brit sparks are way ahead of the aussies :)

was thinking bout going out myself nxt year or two but heard sparks are not on the list anymore??

i do bms works mainly, where would i fit in out in oz??

Hi Rohan, i would disagree with the previous comments, i moved from scotland to perth WA 10 years ago now and can say it is the best thing i ever did, but you only get out of it what you put in, you will find it harder for the first 12/24 months (I did) but once you get used to the way sparkying is done over here the positives out weigh the negatives, lifestyle, working in the sun, being able to wear shorts to work, then hitting the pool when you get home with a cold beer. The wiring regs are more laid back than the UK, T&E for everything, Red, white and blue phase colours, no armour,steel conduit, pyro etc most aussie sparks haven't heard of half of it, as for the exams you need to do, if you can manage to get yourself a copy of the electrical regs for the Australian state you intend to move to maybe from ebay or online bookstore this will help you, when i sat mine it was an open book test with 40 multi choice questions ,once you pass that you do a practical exam similar to the AM2, small install , bit of fault finding, motor with remote start/stop etc. Once you move over if you can get some labouring work with an electrical company before you sit tests you will get a bit more familiar with the differant fittings used over here and the ways things are wired. Also if you intend to do any kind of comms work that is a seperate week long course with an exam at the end and a seperate license issued. seriously give it a go or you will never know. good luck with it all.

hi mate, i am also looking into moving to oz. i am 22 and was told that a 1year working visa would best suit me because i havent been to the contry before. it is perth where i cud be going because i have a few friends there atm.
i have looked at jobs on the internet and dont understand the different grades. i then found some info on the course u talk about and also the white card which i was told gets u onto site over there.
what wud be my next step after getting enuff money together and having my visa.

It is like the AM2, in a bay kind of scenario! However, getting your Vet sorted only gives you the visa as some states do not recognise! Once your visa is sorted you will need to apply to TRA to do ATRC (Australian Trade Recognition Certificate) a lengthy process, which requires proof of your work for past four years if serving apprenticeship or seven years without if other route ie Adult trainee, electrical improver etc etc.

It is like an in depth NVQ and you have to detail absolutely everything in a working electrical diary for dummies so to speak. You need good qualifications, as in 2360, 2330 2382, 2391 et al, being JIB registered won't hurt. They won't entertain you with the domestic installer qualification as it is not something they recognise at all. This can be done in England or Australia but if in England you must hold an Australian mailing address.

Once you have your ATRC you can then apply to Peer training, certainly in Adelaide to sit the wiring regulations, AN/NZS 3000:2007, which is a lot like 17th edition. If you pass get your results same day, which allows you to take to Business and consumer affairs to get your license which is unrestricted in SA (South Australia) I was lucky as had Aussie passport so just did small bridging course at Regency Tafe in Adelaide as did not have enough experience by about six months! Tafe were great and are there to help!

Electricians are on around 30 to 40 dollars a hours which equates to about 25 to 33 pound a hour, plus one RDO per month, which is a rostered day off fully paid!

If i think of anything else will add!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone.

I am going through the process of applying for emigration to Aus. I am using a migration agent.

I know that soon I will have to get my skills acesssed by vetassess. I was wondering if anyone had done these exams (theory and practical)? If so what do they involve? As i'd like to start revising for them now.

Thanks alot.

Rohan.

just steal a loaf or a pig and get deported

Reply to Emigrating to Australia. Help / advice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net