Discuss employment query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobby101

hi all just a bit of a quickie my employer is making me redundant boo .. i am the sole electrician iin the company and my question is this the company is due for a SELECT audit, the week after i have been made redundant so does the company need to have a person employed to retain the select membership or not the reason i ask is the company still wans me to work on apart time basis but dont want to keep me employed (weird) do i let SELECT know or what ???

Can/t comment about SELECT, but I can see where the company is coming from. I assume that by part-time you mean they will call you when they need you, not pay NI etc. So at that point you will be a self-employed contractor invoicing them?

If you are the only electrician on the firm, then presumably you are the companies nominated Qualified Supervisor with SELECT, in which case you cannot be the companies QS if you become their self-employed contractor or consultant, by definition you must be on their books to be their company QS. You would need to registered with SELECT in your own company name and your company be the (sole ideally) electrical sub-contractor for the former company and you being the QS for your own company and responsible for overseeing all electrical works undertaken by your company on behalf of the former company.
The former company is going to have problems conducting a SELECT audit without QS on the books, the assessor will probably note this as non compliance with the SELECT terms of membership, what action SELECT may take is open for debate, probably they will just give the company a period of time to comply and keep their registration open pending compliance. The former company may, however, choose to surrender it's membership and sub-contract all electrical works to another company, hopefully yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to employment query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net