Discuss Extension socket exploded, problem with extension block or main wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 4 socket extension block plugged in, in my bedroom. Just plugged genuine iPhone charger into it and instantly loud bang and the socket + charger burnt out. Although no damage at the wall socket. I assume this is just a problem with the extension and not the wall / main wiring? Just need to clarify as I know nothing about electrics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 75
I have a 4 socket extension block plugged in, in my bedroom. Just plugged genuine iPhone charger into it and instantly loud bang and the socket + charger burnt out. Although no damage at the wall socket. I assume this is just a problem with the extension and not the wall / main wiring? Just need to clarify as I know nothing about electrics.

PROBABLEY A FAULTY PLUG ON THE CHARGER

definitley a fault in the charger plug. you can see the majority of the soot inside it. probably find the extension lead is OK

Where was it purchased from? A lot dodgy ones are sold as being genuine and have all the proper markings.

I'm not convinced that's a genuine Apple charger. Although I haven't seen inside the Apple product, the picture shows some construction methods that I don't think Apple would use, and lacks design features that I would expect to have seen.

There are many well-disguised replicas that require some knowledge of the design to tell apart. Unless you purchased it yourself with a genuine Apple product from a genuine Apple store, I would say that is the most likely scenario; imitation charger of faulty design / construction has gone bang. There's no reason to think there is anything wrong with your wiring, although it would be wise to replace the extension cable as the carbon deposits might impair the safety.

If it is indeed a fake charger, this is one of the best outcomes, because now you can buy a genuine one and be safe. Less favourable scenarios include spitting 230V AC power out of the USB socket and frying your phone, or even frying you when you touch the cable, or setting fire to things.

I replaced socketswith ones that contained a USB charger built in. You have to watch what connection is needed (lightning or USB).it saves a socket!

depending on what else is on the extension lead, I fit a surge protection extension which better protects the equipment- though would not have helped in this case.

I replaced socketswith ones that contained a USB charger built in. You have to watch what connection is needed (lightning or USB).it saves a socket!

depending on what else is on the extension lead, I fit a surge protection extension which better protects the equipment- though would not have helped in this case.
Not a huge fan of these things. I do not think having something built into the wall that you cannot quickly disconnect in the event of a fault is a good idea.
They make testing a pain and the build quality of some of these leaves something to be desired as this video posted by Bigclive will show.

Not a huge fan of these things. I do not think having something built into the wall that you cannot quickly disconnect in the event of a fault is a good idea.
They make testing a pain and the build quality of some of these leaves something to be desired as this video posted by Bigclive will show.

Fair point about the cheap crappy ones. The MK ones seem OK though - so far.

Fair point about the cheap crappy ones. The MK ones seem OK though - so far.
I’ve got three different ones installed(both the new Apple and the old apples ( we have 3 iPads and 3 iPhones in the house) all working ok. I agree that checking the wiring causes them to be disconnected which is a bind.
The main advantage was the removal of adapters and /or additional sockets

I only fit the MK usb sockets, they keep changing the bloody text on the front mind you which is annoying.

I fit loads of the logic plus range and you have to be careful as the L and N are the opposite way around to the standard sockets. Ok I have never terminated one wrong but have come close due to complacency......

I’ve got three different ones installed(both the new Apple and the old apples ( we have 3 iPads and 3 iPhones in the house) all working ok. I agree that checking the wiring causes them to be disconnected which is a bind.
The main advantage was the removal of adapters and /or additional sockets

Do you find they don't charge as quickly on the usb as with the original adapter?

Do you find they don't charge as quickly on the usb as with the original adapter?

Depends on the current capability of the USB outlet. Also a lot of chargers these days are dual voltage (9V and 5V), and the 13A socket USB ports don't cater for this (at least as far as I'm aware anyway) so will charge dual-voltage compatible devices more slowly.

Reply to Extension socket exploded, problem with extension block or main wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net