Discuss Extractor fan on a dimmer switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

deanomc

I am after some advice regarding the of a extractor/humidifier fan in the bathroom. I opted for a two gang dimmer switch in my bathroom which operates four dimmable spotlights ( two on each dimmer) All of which work fine. However, I am having a problem with the extractor/humidifier. The electrician wired the fan into two of the four spotlights so when these are turned on on then in theory the extractor fan turns on then goes off after a while. However, the extractor fan remains on all the time until I knock off the isolation switch. The electrician realised the problem when installing them and thought it may have been a fault on the fan itself so I have been in contact with HIB and they have told me that the probable cause is that it is on a dimmer switch as they say the fan is not designed to be installed on a dimmer switch. So, my question is this, I still want dimmers on the bathroom and I still want this particular fan/humidifier (mainly because I have already forked out for them) so I would like to know if there is another work around. In my head I was thinking maybe have two lights on a normal on/off switch that is connected to the fan and another dimmer that only controls two lights. Ideally I would like the set up I have now but sounds like this is not doable unless someone knows a solution.

This is the products that are installed

dimmer - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Varilight-...qid=1467977958&sr=8-1&keywords=dimmer+led+two

spot lights - DEL9WW Dimmable LED Downlight IP65 | The Lighting Superstore

extractor fan - Breeze TH Fan, White Ventilation | HiB

Thanks in advance.

leave the lights all on the dimmers. take the feed to the fan from the live side of the dimmers and rely on the humidistat to switch the fan on and off with possibly an override switch for manual operation.

Sounds like a plan 'telectix'. Will the isolator switch be situated in-between the live feed to the dimmer and fan? Or does this need to go before everything? thanks

supply from live side of dimmers then to isolator. otherwise the isolator would switch off the lights and you'd be servicing the fan in the dark.

You can get dimmers with an auxiliary switched mains output in addition to the variable output, which might possibly be suitable to control the fan. Whether it would be economical and available in a suitable style is another matter. You'll have to do the googling as my mobile internet here is breaking up.

As long as there's an opening window in the bathroom, the fan doesn't have to come on with the lighting. Maybe suggest to the electrician the possibility of having the fan supply on it's own pullcord, then you can use it during the day without having to have the lights on.

Reply to Extractor fan on a dimmer switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net