Discuss Extractor with time & switch, wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Bought a new extractor with a timer and a pullcord, to replace existing extractor with a timer only. Idea was to use the pullcord to turn the fan off completely even when the lights are on. However, after wiring it in according to the instructions I seem to get the pullcord acting as a primary light switch.
Should I just rewire it inline on the neutral, or LV?

Diagramdiag.gif

Bought a new extractor with a timer and a pullcord, to replace existing extractor with a timer only. Idea was to use the pullcord to turn the fan off completely even when the lights are on. However, after wiring it in according to the instructions I seem to get the pullcord acting as a primary light switch.
Should I just rewire it inline on the neutral, or LV?

DiagramView attachment 105421

The diagram above is connecting via your pull cord switch the permanent LIve to the light's switched live, so the light will come on, and the fan will run even when the light switch is off.

You should never just switch the neutral unless it's a double pole switch that also switches the live.

If you wired the switch in series with the Switched Live from the light, the fan would run until the timer reset.
If you wired the switch in series with the Permanent Live then the fan wouldn't run at all But you would still have a switched Live at the fan

Really, you should have a 3 pole isolator switch.

Last edited:
The diagram above is connecting via your pull cord switch the permanent LIve to the light's switched live, so the light will come on, and the fan will run even when the light switch is off.

You should never just switch the neutral unless it's a double pole switch that also switches the live.

If you wired the switch in series with the Switched Live from the light, the fan would run until the timer reset.
If you wired the switch in series with the Permanent Live then the fan wouldn't run at all But you would still have a switched Live at the fan

Really, you should have a 3 pole isolator switch.
thanks for the info,
If I rewire, so the switch is on switched live, I am happy with it running until the timer runs, as long as it stays off afterwards while the lights are still on.

Reply to Extractor with time & switch, wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net