Discuss failed EICR, please can you advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Being generous, this is just another case of an electrician testing to what he thinks the rules should be, not what they actually are.
Being not so generous, it could be viewed as a money generating exercise.
Condemning the socket under the sink (on IP grounds) is beyond ridiculous. It's even mounted on the structure of the house, rather than the cupboard carcase (for which there is a tenuous argument that it's not permitted.)
Regarding the bathroom lights, there is a regulation that requires equipment to be suitable for the environment into which it is installed, but unless there is evidence of considerable condensation in this bathroom, I wouldn't consider this remotely applicable.
If fitting new lights in a bathroom, I think most of us would fit IP rated ones, but they are not a requirement.
ok thank you Brian...this is the first time I am renting a place so i guess there is a lot to learn :)

yes switch was not cracked before inspection but i will have it replaced for sure
Hang on..... so, the inspecting 'electrician' damaged the faceplate?!

Hang on..... so, the inspecting 'electrician' damaged the faceplate?!
yes it was not cracked before . My dryer was plugged into it before and I used it regularly and there was no crack .

We were not in the property when the EICR was done as the lettings agent arranged it . I have asked if the plate was damaged when the testing was done but not had a response .

Going back to the original report, I would be very interested to know how quickly the RCD trips when you press the test button.
The readings on the report say >500 (x1) and >410 (x5). Assuming these are milliseconds, I think that even without a testing machine you could discern if it trips in 'about half a second' or 'instantaneously'.
If it proves that the RCD is in fact ok, then as far as I can see we are now reduced to one incorrect breaker and a possible shower circuit issue.

General point -
When I (rarely) do remedial work for someone else's EICR, if I disagree with a C2 I justify why on my write up citing relevant regulations and photographic evidence why . You don't actually need a certificate that says "satisfactory", you need written proof that required remedial work has happened, and for me I just use a letter. Here's two excepts from a recent one I wrote:

1642004898949.png

and a bit later:
1642004968350.png

My point is that you don't need the same person to do remedials, and you don't need another EICR, you just need someone to evaluate matters and do required remedials who takes a professional approach.
All the best with this.

Back at #55 there was mention of a cracked socket for washing machine and dryer?

It’s likely to crack again with two high load appliances being used at the same time.

Just an observation.
If a 2G socket has been provided for a washing machine and an adjacent tumble drier, then it should be replaced by a dual box and 2 x 1G sockets. (As it should have been on first installation)

My point is that you don't need the same person to do remedials, and you don't need another EICR, you just need someone to evaluate matters and do required remedials who takes a professional approach.
All the best with this.
More to the point, you need someone, like timhoward, to do the first EICR. Someone who knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
Being generous, this is just another case of an electrician testing to what he thinks the rules should be, not what they actually are.
Being not so generous, it could be viewed as a money generating exercise.
Condemning the socket under the sink (on IP grounds) is beyond ridiculous. It's even mounted on the structure of the house, rather than the cupboard carcase (for which there is a tenuous argument that it's not permitted.)
Regarding the bathroom lights, there is a regulation that requires equipment to be suitable for the environment into which it is installed, but unless there is evidence of considerable condensation in this bathroom, I wouldn't consider this remotely applicable.
If fitting new lights in a bathroom, I think most of us would fit IP rated ones, but they are not a requirement.
I think you are being generous assuming it was actually a properly qualified electrician doing the EICR

If a 2G socket has been provided for a washing machine and an adjacent tumble drier, then it should be replaced by a dual box and 2 x 1G sockets. (As it should have been on first installation)
I need to check whats plugged in ...could
Going back to the original report, I would be very interested to know how quickly the RCD trips when you press the test button.
The readings on the report say >500 (x1) and >410 (x5). Assuming these are milliseconds, I think that even without a testing machine you could discern if it trips in 'about half a second' or 'instantaneously'.
If it proves that the RCD is in fact ok, then as far as I can see we are now reduced to one incorrect breaker and a possible shower circuit issue.

General point -
When I (rarely) do remedial work for someone else's EICR, if I disagree with a C2 I justify why on my write up citing relevant regulations and photographic evidence why . You don't actually need a certificate that says "satisfactory", you need written proof that required remedial work has happened, and for me I just use a letter. Here's two excepts from a recent one I wrote:

View attachment 93954

and a bit later:
View attachment 93955

All the best with this.
Also does the person who does the remedial work charge to.issue the EICR certificate . Or do I go back to te original EICR engineer to.show him the work done report . The guy who.has quoted me.for remedial.work is also charging me for a EICR certificate . Not sure how this works

Also does the person who does the remedial work charge to.issue the EICR certificate . Or do I go back to te original EICR engineer to.show him the work done report . The guy who.has quoted me.for remedial.work is also charging me for a EICR certificate . Not sure how this works
I slightly despair at the system sometimes....it's not obvious how it is supposed to work.
The thing is, people like to end up with a certificate that says "Satisfactory". Like a car MOT. But the PRS law clearly says you just need written evidence that the remedial work has been done (I quoted the law in the letter I previously posted).
So you might reasonably be charged for some admin time to write a letter, but it isn't necessary to have another EICR report / certificate done. That said, if the fee is modest there is nothing wrong with having another set of EICR paperwork with no (or only C3) observations, and Satisfactory on the front.
Hope that helps.

I slightly despair at the system sometimes....it's not obvious how it is supposed to work.
The thing is, people like to end up with a certificate that says "Satisfactory". Like a car MOT. But the PRS law clearly says you just need written evidence that the remedial work has been done (I quoted the law in the letter I previously posted).
So you might reasonably be charged for some admin time to write a letter, but it isn't necessary to have another EICR report / certificate done. That said, if the fee is modest there is nothing wrong with having another set of EICR paperwork with no (or only C3) observations, and Satisfactory on the front.
Hope that helps.
Hi Tim

He will charge £120 to.issue a pass/ new EICR . Can i submit the oŕiginal EICR with the evidence or remedial work done . And who do I submit this to.please

sorry can I also ask...the socket under the kitchen sink he will not pass the report if it is not waterproof when I asked what regulation it is voilatiing as he said it is a safety hazard ..so i am a bit stuck there . I cant remember if there is a second switch but he mentioned 2 and changing them both. Since there are to plug in a dryer /washing machine ( there is no space in the kitchen for this and I am having the cracked plug in the garage replaced where the dryer and washing machine machine are plugged in , I was thinking of getting this taken out once I make sure it is not in use .

But if it is and if there is no regulation do i still have to change it ? and can he refuse to give me a pass eicr just for this issue . But if it really is a safety hazard I can look at changing ot taking this outView attachment 93928
Also just to add in the bathroom anything under the bath/shower basin is considered to be zone 1, however if a tool is required to access under the bath/shower then it doesn’t have any zone.

Hi Tim

He will charge £120 to.issue a pass/ new EICR . Can i submit the oŕiginal EICR with the evidence or remedial work done . And who do I submit this to.please
Yes you can but please do not use the same electrician find someone reputable. Some of these apparent Code 2s a different electrician will say works are not required.

Hi Tim

you cannot pay for a pass. So charging £120 for a EICR with a pass is not possible.

you’ve already paid for the EICR. It Came back unsatisfactory. That’s it, no new EICR is required. Just proof the issues it came back unsatisfactory for have been rectified.

i normally issue a statement of fact listing works I have done.

if I strongly disagree with a coding that has resulted in a fail, I will state this that no works where required due to my belief the installation does not require it to acheive a satisfactory ( only ever done this once).

at the bottom of the statement of fact I would write-

i have carried out all works to bring (installation address) up to a standard to achieve a satisfactory based on EICR cert number 123456 done on (date done) by (contractor business name).

Reply to failed EICR, please can you advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net