Currently reading:
finally had enough!!

Discuss finally had enough!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

allsparkjonny

Been thinking about it for a while but today ive decided its finally time to leave this sinking ship we call england.applied for and been granted a working holiday visa for australia which lasts a year but can be extended another 24 months if wanted.
Always wanted to travel the world which is one of the reasons i wanted to be a sparky and with work as it is at moment ive decided its my time.Going to save up as much as poss before i go and go to ibiza with my friends for couple of weeks.No more mortgage worries as i can charge more in rent than what the mortgage is.Its a win win situation!!

Been thinking about it for a while but today ive decided its finally time to leave this sinking ship we call england.applied for and been granted a working holiday visa for australia which lasts a year but can be extended another 24 months if wanted.
Always wanted to travel the world which is one of the reasons i wanted to be a sparky and with work as it is at moment ive decided its my time.Going to save up as much as poss before i go and go to ibiza with my friends for couple of weeks.No more mortgage worries as i can charge more in rent than what the mortgage is.Its a win win situation!!

I wish I was still young enough to get one of them working visas, the only ones I can get now is a holiday and a permanent visa for Oz. Just ain't got the money for the permanent one (and I've looked)....

Good luck mate, I am a very jealous man!

Yep, cant blame yer mate, go and seek new things cause its finished here mate, last one out turn light off please as a green eco thing, u know what i mean.

If I was young and single or even before the kid's came along Id be on the seat next to you,
best of luck ( I'd do Ibiza with you too , Amnesia, Zoo Bar , Pacha , Im getting all misty eyed,:confused:

As you say UK Plc has had it . Unless of course your ' in the system'

Dont blame you at all....really mean it when I say all the best and good luck...Uk's not going to get any better and i'ts way too late for me to uproot now.Make it count and let us know how it goes.

hi there good luck and hope it gose well for you
But not to put a dampers on your new life ,but my uncle lives in melbourne and work has a air conditioning engineerer and has done for 30 years ,but only talking to him a couple for week ago he was having to work away and when i mean away a three hour fight away ,the jobs are hard over there ,i was granted a work permit a couple of years ago, and his advice was to do what you are going to do ,Do a working hoilday first because it is a total different way of life .
But anyway all the best and have a good one

If you get work over there as a Sparky, put some posts and info on about getting the Grade A licence.

Good luck mate, I am jealous.

Cheers...........Howard

SirKit Breaker said:
If you get work over there as a Sparky, put some posts and info on about getting the Grade A licence.

Good luck mate, I am jealous.

Cheers...........Howard

A good place to get some advice about the A licence, tests, visas etc is to google brit expats and Poms in oz and search for electrician

cheers for the info guys,im going with a mate were buying a campervan and just driving from place to place when we decide we want to see the next place,going to try get work as a sparky on short term jobs from place to place but if its to hard or if there are no short term jobs available just going to work in bars or whatever comes up really,going over about august time after a week in ibiza,then at christmas heading over to thailand for the full moon parties,then back to aus for another month then over to india for a couple of weeks seen as my uncle is working out there as a spark at the moment then back to aus for the rest of the year...its going to be AMAZING!!!

Been there

got that t-shirt mate.

Do skills test through department of trade and industry berfore you go.It saves so much time,money hassle etc.
You'll need ..

Recognised apprenticeship
17th edition
Letter of reference from employer.

Loads of patience.....

Need anymore info?

Oh by the way,you can't work as a spark if you're on a working holiday visa.And whatever you do u can only work as it for 3 months,waiter 3 months,barman 3 months,labourer 3 monthe etc.

Has this changed or is it still the same???????

my daughter is thinking hard about the same, new zealand or australia...she asked my advice...i said go for it, otherwise you will always wonder what .....you can always come home anytime, stay with us etc etc... so don't worry about, if it goes ape****...her husband is more thoughful god bless...the undecided.

If I were 26 i would be off like a shot...can always come home, no brainer...this country is crap, and has been for 'normal working people' for 20 years, getting worst over the past 10 years...

did you work out there as a spark or just work where you could find it?

I travelled all over oz and did all sorts of work mainly harvest work , i did some sparky work for about 3 months in Brisbane for a company called Ramseys who were looking for backpackers (cheap skilled labour). I would definetly sort out your A liscence if i were you as most people ask for it

Good luck mate

allsparkjonny said:
can you get an A license for working all over aus or do you have to get it just foe each place because i can only find info on them for each state/territory etc

thanks for your help

Yea you can only get a licence for each state individually eg one for nsw, one for Victoria etc but I think you can get them transferred

I worked in oz in 2005 for a year on a working holiday visa, went with the mrs and ended up getting married in Armadale near perth. I started out delivering the yellow pages for cash in melbourne - paid per book delivered sometimes took over $900 dollars a week home, for a backpacker with only cheap rent toothpaste and beer to pay for it was loads, Then landed a telecoms rigging job ( yes used to put mobile antennas on masts before I retrained) paid $35 per hour self employed, got an ABN (Oz business numbeer) did that for bit, sacked it off took the 1000's id earned. flew to cairns, sky dived, barrier reef, cape trib. hired campervan and drove the goldcoast to brisbane, flew to perth from bris got married, looking for more work, not much comms rigging, saw advert, trades assistant mines, did a weeks course all paid, flew to yandi northern aus and did 6 weeks, 7 days a week 12 hrs a day, was on books taxed at 45% an still cleared in bank 2500 dollars a week! , $15k for 6 weeks
that paid for 6 weeks in thailand, nai harn phuket! - stunning place, then set us up when landed here, mrs fell pregnant, decided no working away, retraded to be a spark, 2010 here I am NIC registered as qualified as I can be in this, an with my own business. all just before my 30'th
got another daughter so 2 all together, am very lucky and that year in aus an thailand WAS the best (before my kids~) of my life
go for it mate
u wont regret it

the one thing I did notice tho was that everyone seems to be paid a LOT more than we do over here,
even unskilled office staff in the city were taking a minimum of 1000 dollars a week home, and the cost of living is less than here
I had a huge shock when got back an every temp job was paying absolute peanuts in comparison!!
have seen job boards recently -sparks in the city (perth) are on up to $45-$50 per hour at the mo if ur lucky to land a job

I think everyone should travel, I wish you luck. Strange how in 3 pages of replies not one person suggests you should stay in the UK.....

Reply to finally had enough!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock