Discuss First post!! Apprentice advice for domestic!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all!! Just after some quick advice!! I am a 3rd year apprentice, have only done industrial/commercial work so far, have now been taken on by a firm carrying out house bashing. Im aware that i will need some different tools for this aspect including chisels!! Could you experienced guys just point out to me the various types of chisels and the benefits, uses etc for domestic work. Also any tips would be appreciated!!! Im fine from a wiring point of view its just the routing (gettin from A-B!!) Cheers people!!! :smiley2:

a 2" bolster chisel and a lump hammer, along with a bruised left hand. septic knees, fibreglass rash and emphesemia are essential items for house bashing.

Floorboard saw, various chisels (wood and masonry) , small brushes for cleaning out channels, various pry-bars, set square, a hammer??? I know it sounds daft but I moved to a factory electrician role a month ago and the blokes there don't even own a hammer! a 3.5mm socket rethread-er - very useful!

The place i was at was drying up with work and offered a new position at new firm it made sense Tony. They carry out all aspects but i have alot of domestic coming up. I appreciate theyre totally different hence the fact im asking for any advice. But if im to become a decent, competent spark am i not best of having experience in all aspects???

am i not best of having experience in all aspects

There is a cruel saying that you can teach a monkey to wire a house in 6 weeks
I bet you will go "ape" when you experience this different world, compared to industrial :crazy:
icon7.png

Cheers guys!! By sounds of it I have everything minus chisels!!! 3.5mm socket rethreader???? (excuse if im being dumb)
for rethreading the lugs in backboxes after the plasterer's filled them and they've gone rusty.

I did a small stint of house bashing and hated every minute of it! no break, working late in sometimes near darkness, two days to 2nd and 3rd fix a house, some people might say that's easy but I didn't like it!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

whilst earning the necessary crust, house bashing, just look for industrial opportunities.

but doesnt the nvq level 3 require a works diary covering two areas such as domestic and industrial? If youve moved to somewhere that just does domestic will you still be able to complete the nvq level 3?

If you were to just work in domestic then I don't think you could cover every unit in the NVQ. It requires you to cover different types of containment systems of which say traywork you wouldn't do in a house.

hopefully the firm he's with will have a mix of dom. and industrial.

If you are working on 3 phase houses, with their own plant rooms for all the essential mod cons like underground swimming pools etc. (they are big houses for rich people) would that satisfy NVQ level 3.

didn't think of that, good one for pointing that out! I just a have a stereotypical view on domestic as working in scruffy smack heads houses!

If you are working on 3 phase houses, with their own plant rooms for all the essential mod cons like underground swimming pools etc. (they are big houses for rich people) would that satisfy NVQ level 3.

Worked on few houses like that in Jersey.

I have all my containment side of portfolio from working previous place. As i said this firm just gives me the opportunity for domestic aswell as some ind/comm. Well it sounds like most people hate it, so should be interesting!!! Id still rather have the full range of experience to say been there and done it. Ill post in week or so let you guys know what i think!!! Watch this space!! :rolleyes4:

Floorboard saw, various chisels (wood and masonry) , small brushes for cleaning out channels, various pry-bars, set square, a hammer??? I know it sounds daft but I moved to a factory electrician role a month ago and the blokes there don't even own a hammer! a 3.5mm socket rethread-er - very useful!

If you come back on CD have to ask why the set square for domestic, not when you have white silicone readily available.:devilish:

Unlike us guys, I didn't think the train-em-up-get-em-out-quick courses did a set square module for the DI

Reply to First post!! Apprentice advice for domestic!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net