Discuss Fitting a timer to an electric aga so it can't be used in the night in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mainline

Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
A few months ago I fitted a change over switch to an electric oven/hob and a converted to electric aga stove, stopping them being used at the same time.

I've now been asked to fit a timer so that the Aga can't be left on overnight.

I'm not happy to do this for various reasons, but can anyone think of any regs I could quote.

The problem is if the Stove, or whatever cooking appliance is on a timer, was on when the timer turns it off and then comes back on in the morning unattended.

One way would be to have a no volt release circuit and a reset at the cooker point.

I doubt there's a reg, there is only common sense.

The problem is if the Stove, or whatever cooking appliance is on a timer, was on when the timer turns it off and then comes back on in the morning unattended.

One way would be to have a no volt release circuit and a reset at the cooker point.

I doubt there's a reg, there is only common sense.

I already thought about a reset, but it's a holiday cottage, and the guests won't want to be putting the aga on 2 hours before they can use it.

What if the guests want to use it at night, seems a bizarre thing to do.
Seen such a thing in ex offender hostels where they were all isolated at night through contactors when there were no staff on site.

Closest I have seen was one place I was working at where they padlocked off the isolator to the toaster at night so folks would not set of the fire alarm late on!

A timer and manual reset switch (like NVR) would avoid the issue of powering up with thing switched on from a pervious attempt to cook, i.e. someone would need to press the "start" button each evening before cooking. But it is a slightly odd thing to implement.

Some ovens require you to reset the clock before they work at all which is an absolute PITA due to the non-obvious clock controls and the typically-lost instruction manual.

What if the guests want to use it at night, seems a bizarre thing to do.
Seen such a thing in ex offender hostels where they were all isolated at night through contactors when there were no staff on site.
He made the mistake of converting the Agas from oil to electric.

Closest I have seen was one place I was working at where they padlocked off the isolator to the toaster at night so folks would not set of the fire alarm late on!

A timer and manual reset switch (like NVR) would avoid the issue of powering up with thing switched on from a pervious attempt to cook, i.e. someone would need to press the "start" button each evening before cooking. But it is a slightly odd thing to implement.

Some ovens require you to reset the clock before they work at all which is an absolute PITA due to the non-obvious clock controls and the typically-lost instruction manual.
I always favour induction hobs.

Induction hobs are fantastic
However they are not suitable for use by people with pace makers, so that may limit some applications, particularly short term letting.

It may be, it is something that 2 people with pacemakers have told me there doctors info included

Induction hobs are fantastic
However they are not suitable for use by people with pace makers, so that may limit some applications, particularly short term letting.
Or by people who take their own favourite aluminium frying pan on holiday with them. Believe me, it has happened.
In the holiday cottage business, KISS definitely applies. Never underestimate the stupidity of some members of the public.

Or by people who take their own favourite aluminium frying pan on holiday with them. Believe me, it has happened.
In the holiday cottage business, KISS definitely applies. Never underestimate the stupidity of some members of the public.

To be fair, if they have never come across induction hobs before then they wouldn't know you have to use special pans.

Reply to Fitting a timer to an electric aga so it can't be used in the night in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net