Discuss Fitting extractor grill from inside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't very electrical, but never mind!
I'm adding an extractor fan to a bathroom in a 4th floor flat.
The builder has helpfully cored a hole for me (110mm)
In the past I've used the Manrose Internal fit wall kit which works brilliantly IF you know in advance and core a 117mm hole.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/manrose-internal-fit-wall-kit-with-backdraft-shutter-117mm/1312X

In this case there's already an 110mm hole. Ever the optimist I tried one anyway and there is no way on earth it's going through.

Getting to the point, has anyone tried the Xpelair version as it looks to use a normal 4 inch duct pipe plus a folding vent and it would seem to have a much greater chance of working in this situation?

Are there any other products worth knowing about for this situation?
TIA

I have done this by attaching a grille to a bit of solid duct, dropping a rope out through the hole and pulling it up. I then reached through the hole to get it into place and then applied plenty of good glue between the duct and the wall.

But then I do normally work in theatre and a long rope is a standard part of the toolkit.

I very nearly tried doing this a few months back using CT1, but just about managed to get myself close enough to swing an SDS at the hole.

The one and only reason for risking life and limb was not being able to get a circular grill in time and the fear of lying awake knowing that square grill wasn't level.

Now done. I used Dave's method.

I siliconed the vent on, then two pairs of small holes the vent end, and two diy copper staples from middle of twin and earth to make sure it stayed there.
Two small holes the tube end and a long loop out of the copper with rope tied on. Lots of glue.
Then tried to pull it up. Damn, caught on something. Down 8 flights of stairs again to find my pal the gas fitter had tied it to a balcony before driving off. I have to admit it was a good prank. Revenge is a dish best served cold....I'll get him yet.

2nd time lucky, satisfying gloopy noise as it pulled into place.
Thanks all.

Thanks Mike. I was aware of this type, its just a shame that no-where locally has them on the shelf!
They are indeed very good and work with normal 110mm hole and ducting, so would have been ideal for this job.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to get one, it would have to be mailorder up here.

Reply to Fitting extractor grill from inside in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net