Discuss Flat Re-Wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gaj1

-
Reaction score
First real post:
Doing a complete re-wire on a 2nd storey flat. Was orinially a large 1850 house and has been converted into 8 flats.
Flat is big, 3 bed, kitchen, bathroom, lounge, dining room. Area roughtly about 170sqm.
Walls are lime plaster (2-3" thick in places), some walls are solid concrete plaster. Most switches/sockets/JB's and rewirable CU oozing the green gunk. Some sockets still wired in lead wiring !
20 Sockets, 5tv and cat5 sockets, 8 light sockets, 11 wall lights, 5 pendants (surface mounting cable on ceiling (12ft up!)) + standard kitchen setup.
All sockets and switches are new chases (using hammer and chisel as my sds seems to demolish the existing plaster!) at reg heights, wall lights 6/7ft up and have all been sheathed.
No access to flat above or below so all runs under floor lifting numerous boards, drilling joists ang noggins and fishing/drilling behind high skirting.
This has been a dog of a job, So far its taken me 11 days (3 of which there were 2 of us.)
Have yet to 2nd fix, put new CU on and remove old cabling - suspect another 5 days for this... totalling 19 man days for the job.
Reading the other posts on re-wires it seems excessive .. is it ? Would be interested on your thoughts.
Cheers

The joys of domestic work, some jobs are a piece of p*ss and some are nightmares. Keep gettin stuck in and keep the faith.

so if you've priced it right, around £4500 + materials, no problem.

doing 3 bed house on my own total so far 14 days, taking my time toget it ready for inspection plus occupied.
done cu change,2 bedrooms ,conservatory and middle room sockets.recon another week to finish.

Excessive ? nah , did a listed cottage rewire few years back and it took 10 days for 3 sparks just to first fix.
Pepple dash render , rotten joists , weak brickwork - we had it all lol.
job from hell.

Ignore the "rewire in a day" brigade mate. If you are doing a quality job and working hard then it will take as long as it takes. As already said, every job is different. :)

First real post:
Doing a complete re-wire on a 2nd storey flat. Was orinially a large 1850 house and has been converted into 8 flats.
Flat is big, 3 bed, kitchen, bathroom, lounge, dining room. Area roughtly about 170sqm.
Walls are lime plaster (2-3" thick in places), some walls are solid concrete plaster. Most switches/sockets/JB's and rewirable CU oozing the green gunk. Some sockets still wired in lead wiring !
20 Sockets, 5tv and cat5 sockets, 8 light sockets, 11 wall lights, 5 pendants (surface mounting cable on ceiling (12ft up!)) + standard kitchen setup.
All sockets and switches are new chases (using hammer and chisel as my sds seems to demolish the existing plaster!) at reg heights, wall lights 6/7ft up and have all been sheathed.
No access to flat above or below so all runs under floor lifting numerous boards, drilling joists ang noggins and fishing/drilling behind high skirting.
This has been a dog of a job, So far its taken me 11 days (3 of which there were 2 of us.)
Have yet to 2nd fix, put new CU on and remove old cabling - suspect another 5 days for this... totalling 19 man days for the job.
Reading the other posts on re-wires it seems excessive .. is it ? Would be interested on your thoughts.
Cheers[/QUOTE

depends what your up against!! and you are up against it lol

Thanks for the comments. Just needed a bit of re-assurrance I guess! Been doing this new career for 18mnths now (20+ yrs in IT) and this is the biggest job I have subbied to .. Boss was getting a bit shirty on length of time taken - I feel better now - at £10ph I thought it was value for money 8-5 + a few late ones - terrible pay but i'm still learnin the practical side - done the exams at college over 6mnths.

£10 per hour? It sounds like your Boss has probably allowed for x amount of hours at £40 per hour and he can see his profit margin diminishing the longer you take.

Reply to Flat Re-Wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net