Discuss Friday night jobs in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Last job of the day 8 O'Clock tonight. Replace immersion element. Shut off water main, remove old element, water everywhere!!! Turns out that the stop cock does not shut off the fu***ng water. Hall soaked, I'm soaked. Just hope the wooden flooring am doesn't start to warp when it dries out. Dried off, cold beer and Chinese on the way!!!

Last job of the day 8 O'Clock tonight. Replace immersion element. Shut off water main, remove old element, water everywhere!!! Turns out that the stop cock does not shut off the fu***ng water. Hall soaked, I'm soaked. Just hope the wooden flooring am doesn't start to warp when it dries out. Dried off, cold beer and Chinese on the way!!!

not good plumber are you? Lol

Obviously I sympathise with you; I've had the odd panic moment with water.

However, why would you not drain down to below the level of the immersion heater boss, or at least open a hot tap to check that the inlet was shut off?

You must be like some of the Sparks round my way, they call themselves sparks but really they are plumbers who dabble with electrics.

You must be like some of the sparks all across the UK, sit on their backsides all day, troiling the internet and posting useless and idiotic remarks on forums as they have nothing better to do with themselves....

Pcam I've been in a similar position on a Friday night, on a rewire 4pm putting floor boards back down for over weekend put a screw straight in middle of board (rushing) soon as it went down thought oh crap as I knew there was a pipe there un done screw to water shooting out at me! 8pm finish that night other spark with me wasn't best happy..

You must be like some of the Sparks round my way, they call themselves sparks but really they are plumbers who dabble with electrics.

I hope that is a joke????
You must be like some of the sparks all across the UK, sit on their backsides all day, troiling the internet and posting useless and idiotic remarks on forums as they have nothing better to do with themselves....

Let's keep it civil guys please

As above, lets keep it civil. Anyone that has never made a mistake has never made anything. By the sounds of it the OP has made a mess of the floor lol.

Just another learning curve.

GMES this reminds of that house rewire last year. The one where I told your apprentice where to drill a hole for the cable run and he hit the old lead water incoming pipe!!! Whoops :smile: My fault at the end of the day :wink: That pipe should never have been there in the first place but it was. Apprentice got soaked on top of the ladders, drill got a jet wash and I had a very interesting talking to by the owner :rofl: That was funny as #*#* :rofl:

Sh** happens... It's how you deal with it that counts. End of the day, it's only a bit of water pmsl.

Shutting of the water main does not help, you need to shut off the valve that feeds the cold feed to cylinder normally up in loft on storage tank, just an little tip if that is seized, I used to put me hand in the tank an cover the outlet with rag or heavy cloth that holds the water back.

Why wouldnt you get a plumber in to do this these jobs are pain in the --- and theres no margin onit.! Each man to there own job imho!

I can only guess that the op was trying to help the customer and presumed it would be an easy job, but I am the same thinking as you I once had a nasty accident with a large oversink heater that was 10 years ago and I've still got water in places I won't mention. never again the only time I go near water now is when I have my stand up wash at the sink on a sunday night:sad_smile:

I can only guess that the op was trying to help the customer and presumed it would be an easy job, but I am the same thinking as you I once had a nasty accident with a large oversink heater that was 10 years ago and I've still got water in places I won't mention. never again the only time I go near water now is when I have my stand up wash at the sink on a sunday night:sad_smile:
Hehe I like that I do, strip wash we call it. Kids (27, 25) think I'm barking mad, never heard of it. Can't beat a good rub down with a flannel, these electric showers are dangerous I recon.

Hehe I like that I do, strip wash we call it. Kids (27, 25) think I'm barking mad, never heard of it. Can't beat a good rub down with a flannel, these electric showers are dangerous I recon.

I think the last time I heard the saying was peter kay in max and paddy " I have a good stand up wash at the sink once a week whether I need it or not"
Classic infact that's just put me in the mood to dig out the boxset.

Reply to Friday night jobs in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net