Discuss Full rewire needed in new home...eeeek! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Just bought a new home, kind of knowing the electrics would need updating, got an electrician out to do a few bits and bobs and he said the house basically needs a full rewire as soon as possible - eek! Thank god we haven't done any decorating yet! Its all come as a bit of a shock and we're first time buyers so have done some googling but thought this might be a good place to get some advice?

It's a four bed house built in 1960s, has old consumer unit with those wires wrapped round (never seen one of those in my life before this week!), and from bits and bobs we've done around the house we're not seeing much evidence of new wiring with grey pvc stuff.

From a bit of googling I'm getting the impression this is a £5-6k job, which will take about 10 days, and it would be best for us to move out during the time to let the electricians work. I'm also anticipating that this will involve a lot of bringing up floors and bashing through walls and ceilings...?

So my questions are:

House has had new kitchen and bathroom in last 5-10 years, am I being gullible to hope that these rooms might have already been rewired?

What's the best way of finding a good electrician who can get this sorted for us? We live in Paisley in Scotland.

Is there anything else I really need to think about?

Got a Electrical Installation Condition Report done before jumping straight in, will cost £120-£150ish. This will tell you exactly what is needed. If rooms have been refitted recently then the report will more than likely save you more than it costs to have carried out. Have this done by someone independent who didn't tell you it needed rewiring.

that price looks about right, but get a couple more quotes, not necessarily going for the cheapest. ask friends and family if they can recommend anyone. leaving the house empty with little furniture in saves a lot of time and should reflect in the price quoted. make sure you discuss the project fully with the electricain/s you employ and be available to discuss any changes or recommendations.

What did the survey on the property say about the electrics?

1960's house or earlier is always going to be tricky unless you get a proper electrical condition report done prior to purchase....

In Scotland so it was just the home report - but basically said nothing at all - it was marked as a 1 on the home report with some waffle that wasn't even accurate. Sorry not a helpful response!

Agree with post #6. If this is intended to be your home start with a clean slate and points where you want them, not where they are now. I'd always advise finding a long established local company if possible. These guys rely on reputation, word soon gets around if the service is poor.
New kitchens can be very hard to rewire without disturbance and damage. It's worth a bit of investigation to see if the new kitchen involved properly installed electrics which can be re-used, but all to often I'm afraid new kitchens hide a can of electrical worms waiting to be opened.

Moving yourself and furniture out, should be reflected in the quotation, and shorten the process. It will also save any accidental damage to your furniture. If you intend to save/reuse you existing kitchen units and bathroom flooring, it may easier & cheaper to have the kitchen ceiling replaced/plastered, the same for the ceiling below the bathroom. In fact, if you have any fixed flooring (tiled/laminate etc), you may wish to consider that as a general option.

Building regulations are different to England & Wales, where most members like me are commenting from, so ensure you have the appropriate building warrants, electricians etc. This may be of some help;

Building Regulations in Scotland - http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/building-regulations/scotland/

Good luck, and I admire your decision to rewire etc, most people who come on here for advice, are more interested in spending money on flashy kitchens, bathrooms or floor coverings :clapping:

Thank you everyone!

The kitchen and bathroom are both quite new and we can't really afford to replace them - I'd factored in that we'd need to replaster/redecorate rooms and that there might be damage to floors (most rooms have original solid wood floor) but hadn't really factored in new kitchen/bathroom costs too, so the ceiling suggestion is a useful one @Midwest. Because they both have new spotlights in the ceiling I was hoping they'd both been rewired to a good enough standard.

I just wish it was two weeks ago and the house was still empty....I think we can move out and there's enough room to move things around a bit to make it easier, but there's no chance in hell we can empty the property totally :disrelieved:

Much as I'd love snazzy new kitchen and bathroom, I'm currently more concerned about burning to death in my nice new house.... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

there's one or two members in the Glasgow area. maybe one of them could give you a quote.

Thank you everyone!

The kitchen and bathroom are both quite new and we can't really afford to replace them - I'd factored in that we'd need to replaster/redecorate rooms and that there might be damage to floors (most rooms have original solid wood floor) but hadn't really factored in new kitchen/bathroom costs too, so the ceiling suggestion is a useful one @Midwest. Because they both have new spotlights in the ceiling I was hoping they'd both been rewired to a good enough standard.

I just wish it was two weeks ago and the house was still empty....I think we can move out and there's enough room to move things around a bit to make it easier, but there's no chance in hell we can empty the property totally :disrelieved:

Much as I'd love snazzy new kitchen and bathroom, I'm currently more concerned about burning to death in my nice new house.... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Just think of the dust & microwaved takeaways, go visit Mum for a week, she'll spoil you rotten.

Thank you everyone!

if the electrics in the kitchen and bathroom prove to be sound on inspection by your electrician, they can be incorporated into a rewire of the rest of the house.

In Scotland so it was just the home report - but basically said nothing at all - it was marked as a 1 on the home report with some waffle that wasn't even accurate. Sorry not a helpful response!

Firstly thank you for responding - so many people don't bother / don't think they need to.

For the benefit of ANYONE viewing this thread at a later date, if you are in the process of buying a 1960's or earlier house, getting a friendly spark to do some form of inspection is highly recommended - not because said Spark wants to earn a few bob, more to determine if said property may need a rewire .... and thus the buyer needs to factor this into their offer....

Other "signs" are extensions done at different times...

OK - so I've messaged the two members of the forum that work in the area and put the feelers out with some friends/family. Here's hoping I can get this mess sorted out sooner rather than later. Thanks again everyone for your help - any other nuggets of wisdom always welcome. :blush:
don't eat yellow snow. :(

At the initial stage of purchase there are usually "raising enquiries" by your solicitor. It should have asked if any electrics (among other things) have been done. If the kitchen and bathroom were honestly answered (i.e. yes) then the enquiry would also ask for all building certificates especially gas and electrical work certificates to be forwarded. You should have copies of this in your purchase pack if the sale/purchase has been properly done otherwise enquire of the agents who handled your sale. You can also enquire of your local building control to search work done and recorded certificates. If a new circuit has been put into the Kitchen and bathroom it should have a notice at your "fuse board" telling you when it is to be inspected. Which in turn would date the installations. In the absence of such proper procedures and evidence it does not bode well

Last edited by a moderator:
Signs to look for in employing the right contractor.
A complaints procedure
Health and safety policy.
A properly written contract detailing the work and timescales and cost.
Properly written quote detailing labour and equipment properly broken down so you know exactly what you are paying for.
Membership of a competent person scheme.
Proper liability insurance.
Contract should stipulate what the contractor will and will not do.
i.e. replaster or not?
Carpets (may not count in your case) whether you should employ your own carpet layer etc.
Making good.
Removal of waste, there will be a lot.
What happens in the event of problems/disputes and who is suggested for alternate resolution. i.e. with trading standards approved status they undertake to resolve disputes. Initially your complaints should go to the contractor.
Someone who invoices for work after it has been completed and to your satisfaction not asking for money up front apart from a reasonable deposit (25%)
Considerate as to times that suit you for work agreed in advance.
Something very close to that anyway

Hello,

Just bought a new home, kind of knowing the electrics would need updating, got an electrician out to do a few bits and bobs and he said the house basically needs a full rewire as soon as possible - eek! Thank god we haven't done any decorating yet! Its all come as a bit of a shock and we're first time buyers so have done some googling but thought this might be a good place to get some advice?

It's a four bed house built in 1960s, has old consumer unit with those wires wrapped round (never seen one of those in my life before this week!), and from bits and bobs we've done around the house we're not seeing much evidence of new wiring with grey pvc stuff.

From a bit of googling I'm getting the impression this is a £5-6k job, which will take about 10 days, and it would be best for us to move out during the time to let the electricians work. I'm also anticipating that this will involve a lot of bringing up floors and bashing through walls and ceilings...?

So my questions are:

House has had new kitchen and bathroom in last 5-10 years, am I being gullible to hope that these rooms might have already been rewired?

What's the best way of finding a good electrician who can get this sorted for us? We live in Paisley in Scotland.

Is there anything else I really need to think about?

Hi Annabelle

We are glasgow based if you would like us to come out to have a look and provide a quotation should the property need rewiring .

If you would like us to come and have a look please drop me a message

Regards
Garreth

Udell Electrical Services

Reply to Full rewire needed in new home...eeeek! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net