Discuss Full rewire with cables being carried on exterior walls to interior sockets. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cardiff

photo(2)al.jpg
photo(2).jpg

Hi - I'm new here, hope you don't mind if I ask for some advise please? We've just had a full rewire done on a house we recently purchased. In most rooms, power cables have been run under floor board and then chased up the walls to the power sockets.
However on the front room and back room (that are adjacent to each other) on the ground floor they have not carried the mains cables under the floor boards. They have run it through an external trunking tube on the outside wall (see photos). The tube carries the mains cables to 4 sockets in the 2 rooms. There are 4 "junctions" on this tube where each cable leaves the tube and enters the wall through the brickwork into the back of the wall sockets.

Firstly I'd like to ask if this is normal practice? We are not sure why they did not run the cables under the floorboards, they did not even lift them to see if it was possible.

Secondly, if this is normal practice then would the cables that are running through the walls from the exterior/tube, into the back of the interior wall sockets be run though some kind of casing? They are currently running "naked" through the brickwork. They have not re-plastered where the cables are coming out or sealed the back of each junction on the tube. We are wondering if this is normal practice, as the cables are currently exposed to the elements, and the holes will be letting water/snow etc in from the exterior into the back of the wall sockets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Matt

crikey moses. Who the bloody hell did that? and why were they allowed to complete the job in such a way. Surely you or someone else was there to question it at least?!

did they sub this bit of the job to a plumber? get the loonies back to do it right.

rough job for sure. not much you can do after its done,
(unless you really want the geezers to come and sort it out, which they may be reluctant to do).
Good point is that it would be easy if some maintenance or adding extra sockets needs to be done on the circuit.
Make sure the lids of the conduit junction boxes are properly sealed so water do not get in. They are not ip rated (weatherproof) so a bit of sealant silicone may be needed. dont forget drainage holes at the bottom of the boxes to let condensation moisture out.

Absolutely shambolic , I have seen some bodge jobs done, but this is a classic, pure laziness on the (plumbers) part. IMO

Hi guys, thanks for the speedy and useful responses, I'm very grateful cheers! I was in work when this section of the wiring was started and completed, but you've all confirmed the suspicions I had as soon as I saw it... we've yet to pay the final installment (that's due "on completion") so I'll pursue this tomorrow. Cheers again! Matt

we've yet to pay the final installment (that's due "on completion") so I'll pursue this tomorrow. Cheers again! Matt[/QUOTE]

In that case you have some bargaining power I would tell them you are not happy with the installation and want it to be corrected at their cost and when you are satisfied you will pay the outstanding amount.
If they agree to do the work and remain professional then be polite and pay them what they are owed.

Hi guys, thanks for the speedy and useful responses, I'm very grateful cheers! I was in work when this section of the wiring was started and completed, but you've all confirmed the suspicions I had as soon as I saw it... we've yet to pay the final installment (that's due "on completion") so I'll pursue this tomorrow. Cheers again! Matt

Well.... make sure they give you the EIC and confirmation that the LABC Part P paperwork is in order too...... I think you have good grounds to withhold payment until such a time that the cables are run correctly.

I agree, It's really shoddy workmanship. But does the principal of running T&E cables in tube around the outside of the house fall down with respect to regulation? I can't think of one.

Reply to Full rewire with cables being carried on exterior walls to interior sockets. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net