Discuss Fuse board upgrade (PRIVATE) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I generally carry out an EICR first, I think it makes sense to carry out some inspection's as your doing the testing anyway. I bill this as part of the board change though and don't repeat every test after.

So you issue the customer a, presumably unsatisfactory, EICR listing a bunch of observations which a new CU will resolve and an EIC for the work when you do a CU change?
I just don't see the point of that?

The last one I didn't was a pain in the ---, three circuits with low IR and an incomplete neutral on another. It was a large property with a few extensions but looked in good repair.

How low was the IR?

So you issue the customer a, presumably unsatisfactory, EICR listing a bunch of observations which a new CU will resolve and an EIC for the work when you do a CU change?
I just don't see the point of that?

How low was the IR?
If I've had a look first and know the board will need changing I'll provide a price for the board including an EICR. I prefer to do the EICR the day before that way I can be prepared and agree on any additional work. I generally issue an EIC and a satisfactory EICR together. I usually pick up board changes whilst looking at other work so it usually ties in quite well.

It was 0.46Mohm if I remember correctly. Nothing to cause a trip but I would have rather known about it. The ring appeared to have been extended with jbs under the floor, I think it was one of them causing an open neutral. I had a spare 20a RCBO so put that in. There was a family emergency at the same time so that didn't help. I had assumed the two outbuildings were of the same feed but it was off a spur/blank single behind a large TV, if I had spotted it I would have found the outside sockets causing the low IR.

Surely it must be an unsatisfactory EICR if it is carried out before the board change and other remedial works. If it is satisfactory then why is the board change etc required in the first place?

I think he means after the board is changed he issues an EIC for the board change and an EICR for the whole installation.

Surely it must be an unsatisfactory EICR if it is carried out before the board change and other remedial works. If it is satisfactory then why is the board change etc required in the first place?
I suppose I could and if being particularly pedantic should issue a unsatisfactory EICR first but I'm sure most will sort issues during the inspection without recording the issue.

I prefer having a report stating I have inspected the property and the limitations and commented on my findings. If I say exposed basic insulation is a C3 because it's 4m in the air and the ceiling rose is plastered in, and made a poor call, I will be covered by my indemnity insurance. If I appear to ignore it, couldn't that be seen as negligence? I try and use it to emphasize that I'm testing the installation too and builders won't be offering the same service. The same with completing minor works certificates, I think it sets me apart from the handyman and covers me if anything goes wrong.

I can see you are diligent with your checks but how do you record recommendations on a EIC?

Selling a EICR wouldn't really happen in a well maintained property but I think it makes sense where I can point out issues without looking very far. I assume you would charge more where there's more risk too?

I haven't been doing domestic work professionally that long so I still have a lot to learn.

Reply to Fuse board upgrade (PRIVATE) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net