Discuss Fuseboard in shower room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an EICR in a property and on arrival found that the fuseboard and supply,cutout and main fuse are all in a converted shower room which used to be a large cupboard.

The board is enclosed in a small wooden boxed in effort.It is 1.4m from the edge of the shower tray so technicallty outside zones specified in on site guide.

Just a quick question........what would you do in this situation?

It's a nuisance when an mcb trips at the best of times, so much worse when you're half way through a shower.
Now with this revolutionary idea there's no need to faff about wet and naked, looking for your dressing gown in the dark before traipsing through the house to the board.
Just reach out and reset it immediately. Brilliant.

As above, I think 'common sense' is more the issue than the regulations. I expect the regulations could be manipulated either way to say that a CU in a shower is acceptable or not. I was asked recently if I would relocate a CU into a bathroom, I declined and offered a better suggestion that was accepted.

As for coding, I personally would find that a bit difficult, perhaps a C3 or no code, perhaps a C2 (If there was any chance of the CU being hit with water from the shower). A picture would be good?

What thoughts did you have (to the OP) on what code it should be?

Last edited:
It's a nuisance when an mcb trips at the best of times, so much worse when you're half way through a shower.
Now with this revolutionary idea there's no need to faff about wet and naked, looking for your dressing gown in the dark before traipsing through the house to the board.
Just reach out and reset it immediately. Brilliant.

Haha. I like this one...

As it is outside of the zones, it does not appear to be immediate danger. However, is the board likely to be exposed to water jets from the shower? If it is likely, perhaps a C2. If it is not likely use a C3 with a view to changing the wooden enclosure to something more suitable such as this:

Meterboxes Direct Online Shop | Enclosures / Sealed Boxes | Weatherproof electrical cabinet -IP65 rated(600x400x230mm)
That's going to look lovely in the customers shower room eh? And how is he going to get the cut-out in it?

Last edited:

Reply to Fuseboard in shower room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net