Discuss Garden Fence Lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mcknze21

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

1st Time Post, wish I knew about such a forum ages ago!!

Anyway, I’m here for some advice on best way to set up some Garden lighting. Predominantly on the perimeter fencing.

Already have a summerhouse in garden which has consumer unit with MCBs for sockets internally and 4x lights on the external of summerhouse and then external sockets on external of house & summerhouse which are spurred of according ring mains.

What would be best/safest way to run lights around wooden fence? Cable choice, etc. my concern was just how weatherproof I’d need make things for rain & even sun. Can these run off existing lighting circuit or do they need independent circuit. I’m not too fussed for a switch for these as I plan to have these fitted with smart bulbs and I can control from app.

Thanks in advance!!

My preference i to buy some swa cable around the perimeter of the fence then come up to each light on the fence post

But I have seen loads of people simple clip black flex along the base of the fence

All joints will need to be IP rated and water tight as best you can , water has a habit of getting in the smallest of cracks

My preference i to buy some swa cable around the perimeter of the fence then come up to each light on the fence post

But I have seen loads of people simple clip black flex along the base of the fence

All joints will need to be IP rated and water tight as best you can , water has a habit of getting in the smallest of cracks
And is it ok to simply use the likes of some 1.5mm² 3 Core NYY-J Cable - Black along the fence? Where can this be run from? Would this need it's on mcb on consumer unit within summer house?

And is it ok to simply use the likes of some 1.5mm² 3 Core NYY-J Cable - Black along the fence?

This could depend of if the cable could be damaged by rodents or anything else. I would go with @Dustydazzler suggestion and use SWA cable, then you are safe.

Where can this be run from?

Without seeing the property or where they supplies are, its hard to say which is best. If you can, sketch up the layout of the property with where the CU's are and where the lights are going. Or get an electrician round to look at what is best, then do the job and test it.

Would this need it's on mcb on consumer unit within summer house?

Not really.

I’m not too fussed for a switch for these as I plan to have these fitted with smart bulbs and I can control from app.

Sounds like you have already picked the light you want. What are they?

Oh, welcome to the forum mate.

Don’t have a sketch for whole garden yet but here is one I had for the summerhouse.

I’d probably be looking at 4/5 lights either side of the summerhouse which is positioned in the corner of the garden. So I’d have them up each fence. I’m just going to go for basic up & down lights such as these type…

UK-TECH Premium Quality Waterproof Stainless Steel Up and Down Lights Outdoor GU10 IP44 Double Indoor- Outside Wall Lights with Tempered Glass Cover https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PSD9GJN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_N0MPGY40N3EH9BN3RVAA

Or something similar but basically so they can shine up to trees and then down on to fence. I’ll put smart bulbs in them like I have on front of summerhouse so they can be controlled with app.

I have attached two old pictures of garden from the house sale advert. It shows the garden and location of summerhouse. I’d like to branch off up each fence.

Attachments

• AEC80309-EA41-4D3A-B7C6-6EABCDB8A77D.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 34
  • F93B0BD4-F817-4C97-91DB-37D50EDEF6DE.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 33
  • 65021FAE-43C4-45C1-991E-FFF30AC181B1.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8968.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8969.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 30
It would be advisable to have the fence lights off a switch, just for isolation purposes.

When I first read this…. I thought… fairy lights, pinned to a fence… that would be enough…
Then I saw I size of your garden!

My god, man. Someone’s doing alright for themselves!😆

If it’s LED smart lamps, it’s not going to be a huge load.
Switch fuse next to one of the sockets… through wall to an adaptable box and run from there.

Just be aware of attaching electrics to a wooden fence. They have a habit of falling down in high winds..

And just curiosity… can you give a region of Scotland on your profile. There’s a few Scots on here that could maybe advise in person if you’re nearby

You need to get the wiring addressed at that consumer unit. The swa cables are not glanded and appear to have the armour taped and connected to the earth bar, there is no busbar shield, neutrals are hanging out of the neutral bar it looks a total lash-up.

It would be advisable to have the fence lights off a switch, just for isolation purposes.

When I first read this…. I thought… fairy lights, pinned to a fence… that would be enough…
Then I saw I size of your garden!

My god, man. Someone’s doing alright for themselves!😆

If it’s LED smart lamps, it’s not going to be a huge load.
Switch fuse next to one of the sockets… through wall to an adaptable box and run from there.

Just be aware of attaching electrics to a wooden fence. They have a habit of falling down in high winds..

And just curiosity… can you give a region of Scotland on your profile. There’s a few Scots on here that could maybe advise in person if you’re nearby
Thanks mate.

This is my parents Garden. I was just looking in to things to help them out.

You need to get the wiring addressed at that consumer unit. The swa cables are not glanded and appear to have the armour taped and connected to the earth bar, there is no busbar shield, neutrals are hanging out of the neutral bar it looks a total lash-up.
Appreciate that mate!

Looking back at that picture I can see straight off what you mean regarding the neutrals hanging out! That definitley needs a tidy!
Don't know what has happened to the bus bar shield to be honest but that can easily be picked up and reapplied can't it?

How do you mean regarding the armour taped up may I ask?

I think he means here…
EA46993E-8095-487E-849A-B4FE2A53B41B.jpeg

One taped up wire here will be the black core of the armoured 3 core cable… (the grey being used as neutral)
The other must be a few strands of the armour in the cable, taped up and connected to the earth bar.

As Westy said, it should have been glanded properly.

Could you explain or show a photograph of the other end of the armoured cable where it is supplied in the house?

I think he means here…View attachment 94802

One taped up wire here will be the black core of the armoured 3 core cable… (the grey being used as neutral)
The other must be a few strands of the armour in the cable, taped up and connected to the earth bar.

As Westy said, it should have been glanded properly.

Could you explain or show a photograph of the other end of the armoured cable where it is supplied in the house?
Thta's kinda all i have from the mains unit inside house. SWA running to and from summerhouse.

Am I gonna need to run more SWA or can you just use like NYY-J out from summerhouse and along fences? Also if there is to be a switch can this be of exiting lighting circuit? Because as you can see I don't have much room for another breaker in there?

Attachments

• 260358369_1156603968494998_1139122887392845700_n.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 273451555_683728569304525_6476581089750732828_n.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 14
I really need to do some sort of sketch for a plan. So I can see how this will all work, what type cable to use etc. It's just trying to get started that's the issue. That's basically what I have in place for now though.

Am I gonna need to run more SWA or can you just use like NYY-J out from summerhouse and along fences?

What height on the fence are you running the cable?
As for what type, it sounds like you don't like the idea of SWA as already suggested. lets see if someone on here would use NYY-J cable. All depends on where the cable is going.

Also if there is to be a switch can this be of exiting lighting circuit? Because as you can see I don't have much room for another breaker in there?

The suggestion of the switch fuse is to isolate the new light for maintenance.

Can put it whatever height really but the lights will be level with top horizontal slat?

I can use SWA, it was more just is it needed or is flex ok?

And I get you for the fuse switch now! I guess can come off existing light circuit mcb and in to fuse switch? Thanks.

Reply to Garden Fence Lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net