Discuss Grinder discs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just got 18v grinder, and from other posts they recommend inox blades @ 1mm?????? I've seen ones in shops for like a quid is there much difference in brands ??? As we know these grinders cane battery's...

Not sure why the inox disks are so popular, 'inox' means stainless steel so I would think normal steel or masonry disks would be more suitable for electricians.

Usually diamond tipped disks are for masonry, tiles and brick. What are you using your grinder for exactly?

Using diamond discs is a good move, it will not stop the sparks but at least they last longer than the non diamond ones.
The 1mm thick disc is useful because you do not remove so much material, quicker cutting.
The diamond ones are also less susceptible to shattering when you twist them!
Unless you have coolant about get the dry cut ones, but not if you are cutting tray.

I think that the main point is that 1mm thick discs take less power to cut through steel, so your batteries last longer than when using thicker discs.

As for 'inox', it just means that the discs are suitable for cutting stainless steel (as well as ordinary mild steel). Maybe it's just that the 1mm discs are only made in this type?

We use the 1mm inox disks in the workshops but normal steel blades usually on site. The problem with the 1mm disks is they disintegrate easily if you ever use the flat face of the disk for deburring or any other operation. If it's steelwork then I'd go with either a 1mm or 1.5 mm standard steel disk. You must change disks for any masonry work such as chasing when I'd recommend a diamond tipped steel blade. The thinner blades require less power from the grinder but it's a trade off with blade strength and durability so trial and error would be the best way to decide..

I don't need 50 discs I want to but maybe two and so a good job. Inox as at thin and easy on batteries.like they say on radio , love u

Always found that stainless cutting discs just seemed to last longer. The 1mm discs are great, the cheaper thicker ones are harder work.
Once you start using this you will never go back to a hacksaw. Ideal for tray, trunking basket and so on.

cant see past the dewalt xr range right now , i hear a lot of people talking about Milwaukee gear might give it a try sometime but i wasnt impressed by the combi drill

I have the combi drill and sds in 18v is there really need for combi I ask now, probably be better off with 12v as driver. But not this side of christmas, and you can take that to the bank..

Reply to Grinder discs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net