Discuss GU10 downlights running dim in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just installed 8x GU10 downlights in our kitchen with a 2 way setup using the 2 cable method, when I turned the light on they are running dim. I also found that if I turn another light on in the house they then go to full brightness and remain that way even if the other light is turned off and until they are turned off themselves, turning them back on they go dim again.

I'm going to rewire the 2 way 2 cable setup with 3-core and earth in hopes this fixes the issue, along with shortening some lengths of cable between the downlights.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this, am i on the right track?

Some pictures would help here.
Currently at work, I do have a rough drawing of my setup. To clarify, Live goes to Com on switch 1, then a 2 core goes from L1 and L2 to the other switches L1 and L2, from switch 2 com goes to first down light, these are wired in series until the last downlight which is then connected to the neutral.

Attachments

• IMG-20230615-WA0008.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 15
What type of lights are they as wiring in parallel is the norm unless using a constant current driver.
(Edit as GU10 probably 230v so should be parallel)

As another switch affects the set up, are you sure L is a permanent live and not a switched live from the other room?

What type of lights are they as wiring in parallel is the norm unless using a constant current driver.
(Edit as GU10 probably 230v so should be parallel)

As another switch affects the set up, are you sure L is a permanent live and not a switched live from the other room?
These are the lights: Integral LED Evofire IP65 Fire Rated Downlight Polished Chrome | Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/integral-led-evofire-ip65-fire-rated-downlight/p28110

I will have to confirm later, but I'm using the same 2 core cable from the previous light fixtures which didn't have this issue.

The kitchen use to have 2 fluorescent tube lights, which occasionally caused flickering in the living room when turned on.

I'm sure we've installed these before and they were class 1 (ie needed an earth connection) so not sure the 2core cable from previous is compliant?
Hi, sorry I meant 2 core and earth.

I have now resolved the problem. I noticed I had a voltage split on the live and neutral somewhere in my circuit and isolated it to one of the lights. After removing it I had 240V and my lights are no longer dim.

I'm sure we've installed these before and they were class 1 (ie needed an earth connection) so not sure the 2core cable from previous is compliant?
The Evofire is a lamp carrier. It only becomes a Luminaire when fitted with a relevant and compliant Light source.

Reply to GU10 downlights running dim in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net