Discuss Guidance on becoming an Approved Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BigBadgerBear

Hi all.

I am 25 and currently studying through the EAL Diploma and have obtained my Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation. Next up is the Level 3. The thing I am wondering is what I need to do to become approved. I understand it takes time and have been gaining as much experience as I can as an Electricians Mate. So what I am asking is this, once I have done my 2 year full time course, gained my 17th Ed wiring regs exam which is done through my college, 2394 and 2395 and completed the AM2, am I good to go? Someone told me all I need to do is my two year course with 17th rolled in and complete 2394 and 2395, is that correct so I can then work but will not be JIB recognised?

Thanks in advance

James

To get your sparks gold card you need to have completed a full apprenticeship which nowadays I believe incorporates the AM2/NVQ3

To move onto an approved you will need the 2395 but you will also need 2 years experience and also letters from employers/contractors you have worked highlighting your responsibilities and what you have worked on

Welcome to the forum.

The key thing that is missing from your list that is needed to obtain the standard JIB Gold card is the NVQ3.
To gain the approved electrician gold card needs 17th Edition and the 2394 and 2395 as well.

You can work as soon as you are competent to do so, but qualifications help to demonstrate this competence.

Ok, fantastic! So looking at it, the NVQ3 can be done between 6-12months of starting the process if I work within the industry and have a portfolio, which I do and have. Otherwise it would be 2 years. So with that, the C&G 2394 and 2395 and the AM2, I am golden. Actually feels great knowing that the full time course was a good idea when no apprenticeships for a 25 yr old were available.

Thanks all

Reply to Guidance on becoming an Approved Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net