Discuss Guys I’m struggling to find one item which use electric power but it’s not considered an appliance. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

An appliance is something 'other than a luminaire. So therefore a 'not apppliance' is............
Yes, I admit and I take it as a good answer. Well, I asked for one item, and I got two already, Luminaries and protective devices (aka RCBO , AFDD) I’m more than pleased. I will still keep the subject on for a bit to see what else I can find out there!!! Thank you though

From ECA.

An electrical appliance is defined within BS 7671 (IET Wiring Regulations) as:
‘An item of current-using equipment, other than a luminaire (light fitting) or an independent motor’
An appliance, in the general sense, is an electrical or mechanical machine which accomplishes a specific function.
From ECA.

An electrical appliance is defined within BS 7671 (IET Wiring Regulations) as:
‘An item of current-using equipment, other than a luminaire (light fitting) or an independent motor’
An appliance, in the general sense, is an electrical or mechanical machine which accomplishes a specific function.
Thank you

Where would we categorise a grid connected solar array? it is not a current using device for most of the time
or power factor correction equipment, it draws current and uses power but at the same time reduces current from the grid.

Guys I’m struggling to find one item which use electric power but it’s not considered an appliance. Is there anyone who can give me a such example?
This must be for your Level 3…….!!!!

Your ‘Service Providers Meter’ uses electrical energy to operate, but is NOT regarded as an Electrical appliance….!!!

Now a question for you…!!!!!

WHAT is sometimes regarded as ‘Dirty Electrics’…..??????

Let me know your thoughts.

EV assessor.

“dirty electrics”?

Is that when the spark doesn’t clean up after themself? 😜

Ask a layman and generally they would consider an “appliance” as large kitchen based equipment… usually known as “white goods”

Therefore anything else… (black goods) is not an appliance. TVs, computers, lamps, etc.

(can we still say white and black goods, or is that frowned upon nowadays?)🧐

Dirty electrics? Never heard of it. A dirty supply would have noise on it though - is that what you mean?

Dirty electrics? Never heard of it. A dirty supply would have noise on it though - is that what you mean?
The slang of the term ‘Dirty Electrics’, (don’t know who named it that). is that annoying in-balance that trips your RCD/RCBO when to many DC devices
i.e chargers, transformers, LED, electronic devises, brake down the balanced electron flow..!!!! (Ed v Tes).

Never heard intentional earth leakage called "dirty electrics". Maybe it's a regional thing...
Hi loz,
One of our apprentices came back from a seminar in London, with the Slang of ‘Dirty Electrics’.

We know it as back EMF, where electron filters aren’t fitted to DC devises.

Handy one to know if your getting nuisance tripping, or certainly bare it in mind.

Guys I’m struggling to find one item which use electric power but it’s not considered an appliance. Is there anyone who can give me a such example?
Your service providers digital meter, used electrical power in order to operate but isn’t regarded as an appliance….???

That’s all I can think of at present…!!!🤔🤔🤔

It would depend on what is considered to be an appliance.

A dishwasher maybe considered to be an appliance, An immersion heater may not be.
All I can think of is the Service Providers Digital meter.
It uses electrical power to operate, but isn’t an appliance. (Such as a fridge etc).

Just to put this in the mix.
A shaver socket with an isolating transformer is often powered but is not an appliance but an outlet that can consumer power when energised but not in use.
Modern ones switch on when you insert a plug but they don't all do this

Just to put this in the mix.
A shaver socket with an isolating transformer is often powered but is not an appliance but an outlet that can consumer power when energised but not in use.
Modern ones switch on when you insert a plug but they don't all do this
Same for usb sockets or tvs, washing machines the list goes on.

Basically most things that use electronics will keep the power supply on and it will consume power.

Certainly, there are many electric-powered items that are not considered traditional home appliances. Here's an example:

Electric Toothbrush: An electric toothbrush is a device that uses electricity to provide rapid, automated bristle movements for more effective tooth cleaning. While it uses electric power, it's not typically categorized as a home appliance like a refrigerator or washing machine.

Other examples of non-appliance electric items could include things like power tools, electric razors, electric bicycles, or even certain medical devices. These items are designed for specific purposes and use electricity but may not fit the conventional definition of household appliances.

Reply to Guys I’m struggling to find one item which use electric power but it’s not considered an appliance. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net