Discuss hand tools when your old and falling apart in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All.
Hoping for some advice please. I've severe arthritis in the hands (all three :flushed:) A large dollop of osteoarthritis but I'm also being investigated for rheumatoid arthritis too (due to swelling in fingers, redness and burning sensations). I have difficulty typing, opening jars - anything a 90 year old could show off and do! I'm principally struggling with screwdrivers. The physio suggested looking for screwdrivers with fat handles as they thought it would alleviate some pain.

My left knee is jiggered, I'm down to bone grinding on bone, I've always worn knee pads, kneeling mats etc.

Are there another suffers out there and if so do you have any tips that might help (short of retiring, which I can't do). Not really looking for sympathy (not get it on here anyhow ;)) but any tool tips or work arounds etc.

Many thanks.

I have seen some "electric screwdrivers" that are designed for terminals, so they have a very limited torque and allow you to speedily drive the terminal closed, etc, but without that damage impact drivers cause.

You can also get some drivers that take 1/4" extensions so a T-bar on top of the screwdriver-like handle could allow hand torque without too much gripping force.

If anyone knows what screwdrivers are out there, it'll be @Dustydazzler
If you are looking for something with a bulky / large round grip look up Vessel Ball Grip

I have seen some "electric screwdrivers" that are designed for terminals, so they have a very limited torque and allow you to speedily drive the terminal closed, etc, but without that damage impact drivers cause.

You can also get some drivers that take 1/4" extensions so a T-bar on top of the screwdriver-like handle could allow hand torque without too much gripping force.

For plate screws etc these would be useful, but not for much else as you need to change driver to tighten anything.

I can't help thinking about the big, dumb looking Klein driver that's popular in the states as it looks as though the grip is very wide - might be just images though, so wouldn't recommend anyone buys it on the basis of my musing.

If you are looking for something with a bulky / large round grip look up Vessel Ball Grip

Looked at the ratchet version of that on Amazon not two minutes ago and didn't realise there were others available.

Looked at the ratchet version of that on Amazon not two minutes ago and didn't realise there were others available.
I have an old RS ratchet driver (No. 2 pozidrive) and it is probably my most valued screwdriver! These days folks your power tools for most things, but in the olden days this saved a bit off effort and does not remove the finer manual control of a traditional driver.

The old fashion Wiha ProTurn were lovely old Drivers as well with a massive handle grip. Sadly no longer made

I have an old RS ratchet driver (No. 2 pozidrive) and it is probably my most valued screwdriver! These days folks your power tools for most things, but in the olden days this saved a bit off effort and does not remove the finer manual control of a traditional driver.
I used to like the old Stanley Yankee, long before pozi's or battery drills/drivers. It's hidden away somewhere. That used to save some time first first fixing.
Don't think it would be much good for richy, though...could be a bit vicious, that thing.

I have mild arthritis in my right knee, lower back and hands. It all kicked off during Covid when i was working flat out, as holidays were too risky and my clients were still active. Shortly after an intense project i was forced to take 2 weeks off as my knee was so swollen i could not get in and out of the vehicle. My Xrays showed it was not a total loss so not ready for new joints yet but since then i have done a number of workarounds and since then my back and knee are manageable without pain killers.
Here is my new regime:
1. Break up repetitive movements like, climbing ladders or even climbing in and out of a scissor, i.e. Last job involved a high number of warehouse lights - 8M up. Normally i would prep the lights in one go and then hang them to reduce scissor battery drain. Now i will break up the prep work which reduces pain in my hands and when i am in the scissor , i stay in the scissor - my assistant passes stuff to me so i dont need to get in and out.
2. Reduce lifting to an absolute minimum, i use clients pallet trucks to move tools and stuff around and make many light journeys instead of trying to carry a heavy load.
3. Ladder work to an absolute minimum, a scissor although not cheap, is so much better. A job i would have previousy tackled with a ladder, i just dont do.
4. Again on repetitive work, like multiple cable terminations, i split it up with other work, it does take a conscious effort to walk away from another 20 odd terminations but i pull a few cables, then terminate, then pull a few more etc.
5. Have a holiday after a big job.
6. Monthly appointment with Osteopath to keep my back from locking up
7. Occassionally take 600mg of Ibruprofen to get me through the day but its rare and not recommended for long term use.
8. Keep mobile, my Osteopath recommended walking for my back, it does help.
9. Also i have found my muscles are now too strong for my joints so i dont try and push my muscles to the max.

Appreciate you are suffering much worse as i am not quite bone on bone, but i have found the nature of our work creates a repetitive action which, for me, causes inflammation, and hence loss of movement and pain.

Hope this helps.

In my view, I think you need a new doctor. You need to address the health issues you have. Clearly that is not happening with your current health care regime. Bottom line, improve your health, not your screwdriver.

The Bosch Go2 electric screwfriver is a fat handled unit. It also has variable torque, so is great for faceplate screws when set at a low level. You can turn up the torque for other work or lock it off. It saves time and obviously you don't need to use your wrists as much as with a normal driver.

Cheap dog walking grade small tennis balls with a hole in them to slip over handles, same deal using pipe insulation.

For the record, as a tennis player, I always recycle my tennis balls by giving them to my dog-owning friends...and I mean quality balls, not cheap crap! These used balls, from a premium maker, last at least 3x as long as the cheap ones! Once the dogs get them, we're talking at least 3 minutes!
Here's a quiz!
If you can name the tennis balls I use, I will donate £10 to RNLI, so get guessing!

For the record, as a tennis player, I always recycle my tennis balls by giving them to my dog-owning friends...and I mean quality balls, not cheap crap! These used balls, from a premium maker, last at least 3x as long as the cheap ones! Once the dogs get them, we're talking at least 3 minutes!
Here's a quiz!
If you can name the tennis balls I use, I will donate £10 to RNLI, so get guessing!

All the Slazenger tennis balls used to be made not for from me in a factory at Barnsley. They made them there for many years. Closed now unfortunately.

I have heard others with knackered knees suggesting sitting on toolboxes rather than kneeling where possible.
I was considering the Wiha speed e 2 as oddly my elbow hurts after using a screwdriver for too long.

Reply to hand tools when your old and falling apart in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock