Discuss Has my spark done this correctly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

bayzoo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

According to John Ward’s YT video on SWA cable, if the cable is being attached to a plastic enclosure the metal strands of the cable need to be earthed, but it appears my spark hasn’t done this - is there a reason why or is it wrong? If so how should it be done?

This junction box is connecting 6 mm2 T&E from the inside of my property to SWA outside.

B296A7D8-8BFF-4FC3-B78C-DC1E77C49B7E.jpeg

Can you show the termination of the swa cable at the other end.

No the armour (strands) has not been earthed and it should be.
The cable needs a gland to be fitted at the consumer unit, this would if fitted correctly earth it however the enclosure has square entries and not round but a round entry could have been created. That is a rough job the way the cable is routed and entered through an unprotected entry with no gland the conductors also require correct identification. Is it possible to slide the black shroud from the cable at the outside box to see if the gland is suitable for outdoor use.
Have they provided any Certification.

No the armour (strands) has not been earthed and it should be.
The cable needs a gland to be fitted at the consumer unit, this would if fitted correctly earth it however the enclosure has square entries and not round but a round entry could have been created. That is a rough job the way the cable is routed and entered through an unprotected entry with no gland the conductors also require correct identification. Is it possible to slide the black shroud from the cable at the outside box to see if the gland is suitable for outdoor use.
Have they provided any Certification.
No certification - first time using an electrician so I’ve learned a few lessons, and a lot about electrics.

The gland on the outside box is suitable for outside use.

I’m not happy with the way the SWA enters the shed as it’s a trip hazard, so I planned to part bury the SWA cable and connect it to another box using the same gland and then connect it to T&E in the shed which would feed the consumer unit.

No idea the guy is impossible to get hold of - he left a claw hammer he said he’d collect 3 months ago…

What type of gland should I purchase to use with this style of entry:

B455C5F5-7E3A-4442-A6B2-5747277327D1.jpeg

It’s about 30 mm by 25 mm and it’ll be 6 mm2 T&E 2 core + earth feeding it.

I’ll sort out the correct earthing in my 2nd outside junction box using the method as described in JW’s video.

You won't get a gland to fit that entry I would strongly recommend you find a proper electrician to put things right and to check what this so called electrician has done.

Is it actually SWA cable? Might be Tuffsheath or similar. (Have I got that right?)

What’s under the black shroud? I’m thinking just a compression gland and not a brass Swa gland.

No green/yellow sleeving or tape on the black core, and excess copper showing at live terminal.

The round cable in a square hole is a problem as the IP rating is compromised.

The gland at the Wiska box is brass.

Is it actually SWA cable? Might be Tuffsheath or similar. (Have I got that right?)

What’s under the black shroud? I’m thinking just a compression gland and not a brass Swa gland.

No green/yellow sleeving or tape on the black core, and excess copper showing at live terminal.

The round cable in a square hole is a problem as the IP rating is compromised.
I asked for SWA:

95A7BB6C-A3C0-4312-B049-4ACFB6CFD36E.jpeg

That gland isn't even screwed into the box correctly.

Reactions: DPG
That gland isn't even screwed into the box correctly.
It just gets better doesn’t it - I should have done this all myself and then gotten a spark to connect, test and certify it. I’m someone who does things properly and this boils my p*ss.

Just out of interest can the main feed for the unit come from behind the unit or does it have to be visible?

Reply to Has my spark done this correctly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net