Discuss heating element problems with economy 7 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for your expert insight. This would seem to be the mostly logical and likely explanation. I recall when the element was replaced the first time the plumber did take out some of the limescale which would make sense as the element lasted a good year before splitting. This time the plumber didn't do that at all which is probably why I presume it went so quickly.

Re removing the limescale I don't suppose the stuff I put in my kettle to remove the limescale would be appropriate?

Could you recommend a heating element from the internet that I could buy? What is the correct length?

Thanks for your expert insight. This would seem to be the mostly logical and likely explanation. I recall when the element was replaced the first time the plumber did take out some of the limescale which would make sense as the element lasted a good year before splitting. This time the plumber didn't do that at all which is probably why I presume it went so quickly.

Re removing the limescale I don't suppose the stuff I put in my kettle to remove the limescale would be appropriate? It is quite a tricky job given the size of the hole as it is impossible to see what you are doing.

Could you recommend a heating element from the internet that I could buy? What is the correct length?

Thought they’d have been an anode in it. Looks like it was initially well specified and then maintained by wazzocks.

Rich, have a gander round the tank to see if there is a spare port that looks like a blanking plug, that may well be the anode.

Don’t be surprised if when removed there’s nothing there, I’ve seen it before

Thought they’d have been an anode in it
The paper label says one is fitted.

The problem is most people don't know to change them, and the manufacturers often cover them with the foam insulation so you can't find where they are fitted! I replaced the one in a relatives cylinder last year, there was almost nothing left of the anode.

Thanks for all your helpful answers and suggestions. I have emailed this discussion to a recommended local plumber and will see what kind of response I get.

I will attempt to have the anode replaced also. I can't see where it is and I am worried that as has been suggested it is hidden under the foam insulation. I'm almost tempted to replace the whole cylinder - either with something similar - or a new pressurised system that my neighbours are having fitted.

On a water softener I would love one and have looked into it before. I am a little short on space but perhaps will look into again as it would make a difference to so much in my flat.

My neighbour has just had installed a telford tempest unvented cylinder. Tempest Stainless - http://www.telford-group.com/tempest-stainless.html

My other neighbour had something similar last year.

Re combi suggestion I have only got electric. I know electric combi's are available however the plumber that installed my neighbour's new unvented cylinder said he would be concerned about flow rate hence he installed one of these high pressurised systems.

I also asked him if there was a sacrificial rod on our original cylinders and he said there wasn't. He had stripped off all the foam to process the cylinder for recycling so he was confident about that.

Reply to heating element problems with economy 7 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net