Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Heights of existing switches/sockets when re-wiring?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

seb77

-
Reaction score
LADS,

I am due to start a re-wire in afew days. The height of the exising chopped in switches is 1350 to the top and the sockets are 310 to the top. The existing cable capping looks pretty good to tape and pull new cables down. But...have i got to chop new back boxes in at 1200 and 450 and get rid of the existing boxes???.

If all the existing are in at a consistent height then just follow it, re-using the existing where possible.
But if they are a bit haphazard, it will make your job look so much better if all the heights are the same.

Simon

Cheers lads, thought as much. Should be able to pull all the switch cables down....always nice!!!. As far as extraction fans go..do i need 1 in the kitchen aswel as the bathroom?, They are having a cooker hood that is not ducted thru an external wall.

be sure to check the hole sizes for the grommets in them old boxes wont you mate......and theres an earth termination on em n all we found this on a job once and a lot of em had damaged threads n all on the lugs.....better to find and renew stuff like this first as it saves time later (after plastering)......

As above there fine on a re wire as its not a new build but trying telling that to my workmate who leaves switches as they are but has a thing about moving sockets up if to low lol

be sure to check the hole sizes for the grommets in them old boxes wont you mate......and theres an earth termination on em n all we found this on a job once and a lot of em had damaged threads n all on the lugs.....better to find and renew stuff like this first as it saves time later (after plastering)......

I always replaced the back boxes on a rewire for the very reasons our Friend Glenn has stated, and I fitted them at the "new" heights too as I found it not much more difficult than just replacing them at their existing heights. I think it looks better that way - like the customer really has had his place rewired.

Reply to Heights of existing switches/sockets when re-wiring?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net