Discuss heights of sockets and switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobby101

hi all could somebody tell me if there is a diffrent requirement for the height of sockets and switches on a commercial property or does the same regulation height for domestic properties apply if poss could someone tell me where to gain a factsheet on this thanks in advance..

Regulation 553.1.6 covers sockets and as in domestic there is no specified heights as it is all down to wether the height will damge the flexible cord

In domestic new builds there are building regulations and these are covered in the OSG pg 161 section 8.6. Mostly on commercial or industrial the designer will specify heights and he may have to take into account some local or other regualtions appertaining to the type of enviroment.

Hi there, dont know if this will help, I wired 10 individual units within a block for the local council and they stipulated the DDA to me about socket/switch heights and the such.

Last edited:
It depends who's going to be using them - part M was introduced to make things more accessible for persons with restricted reach, which may not be applicable if for example the IT equipment is managed exclusively by the IT department (desktop support can be expected to be in reasonable physical condition) so IT equipment could be plugged into a floor box.
Provision should be made for electrical equipment for use by those with restricted reach, eg a socket should be accessible at reasonable height for someone to be able to plug in a mobile phone charger.

Thought some measurements might be useful. Basically the rule in domestic premises is anywhere between 450mm and upto 1200mm from finished floor level. As far as I know there is no specific requirement in commercial premises, but be aware that there maybe disabled users who need to reach lights switches etc.

Reply to heights of sockets and switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net