Discuss Hello all. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OldLady

HI there,

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

My wife and I have spent the last 2 years restoring a 1930's 40ft wooden motor cruiser here in Norfolk. I've rebuilt her myself, learning most things as I go along. I love working with wood and thought this was a challenge to throw myself at. We've managed to rebuild her from just a basic hull. We're now on the inside after slogging away for so long on the exterior.

We're onto the fun bit now and have installed a new engine, new eberspacher heaters (air and hydronic ones) a new diesel cooker, the lot. We've done everything ourselves with the help from the net and forums like this. I've done a lot of work on diesel engines, fuel installations, plumbing and basic electrics. I'm about to start wiring up the 12v circuits and for sure am going to be asking a few questions to help me out when I' scratching my head. I'm pretty ok with elecs and never go ahead with anything without prior research, investigation and 100% clarity on the issue at hand. But wiring up a boat with 12v is fairly straight forward and I'm taking it all 1 step at a time.

Anyhow, hello once again and Merry Crimbo!! Hope santa brings you all loads of booze!
Adam.

welcome to the asylum. and good luck with the boat. bear in mind that at 12V , the current draw of stuff is 20 x what it would be at 240V, so select cables accordingly.

thanks chaps.

yes indeedy. I'm really going OTT on the cable size, as voltage drop is the biggest pain in the --- on a boat, everything piece of kit is very sensitive (worst culprits being the Eberspacher heaters). I'm running 16mm2 circuits to kick --- busbars for most things (even the LEDS lights!!). I'm lucky enough to have managed to buy a few reels of tinned battery cable in a job lot off ebay so can go totally nuts.

Reply to Hello all. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net