Discuss Help with Hob pleas...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sllimluap

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted and lost part of the hob terminal block. I have since wired it back in and covered with electrical tape but not sure how safe it is, with it being close to the top of the oven. I have searched the internet to try and find a new terminal block lid but have been unsuccessful. Any ideas on what I can do with this? Please see attached pic.

IMG_0452.JPG

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted and lost part of the hob terminal block. I have since wired it back in and covered with electrical tape but not sure how safe it is, with it being close to the top of the oven. I have searched the internet to try and find a new terminal block lid but have been unsuccessful. Any ideas on what I can do with this? Please see attached pic.

View attachment 37413
Do all the elements work on that hob? It looks like a link is missing as it's still stored down by the unattached cord grip (a Zanussi hob perhaps?).

The likes of espares will have the missing parts, but a missing cover is not the only issue with that connection, it's about as poor as I have seen.

Those connection boxes are often easily replaceable as a complete spare item and will have all the missing parts. There is one main manufacturer who make the connection boxes for many manufacturers, the part number is often printed on the side not currently visible.

I used to work with appliances, and not so long ago they all came with huge manly bolt terminals that would easily accept 10mm cable. There was loads of wiring room in the terminal enclosure too. The plastic crap started appearing when I left.

Never mind the plastic cover, the way it's been connected is bloody atrocious.
As has been said already, the boxes are readily available from parts suppliers.
You then need an Appliance Engineer or Electrician to do the job properly.

New kitchen? Who fitted the appliances and where they new and who lost the cover plate?

The cable grip is that by any chance the part hanging down at the bottom of the block?

Thanks for the advise chaps! I have managed to find a new terminal block for the exact model. In the mean time the hob has been disconnected. Regarding the cable, an Electrician said that 6mm is suitable? The Hob has been connected to a 6mm for a nbr of years.

Yes, 6mm is the thickness of the cable. But normally it is a flexible, heat resistant cable.
Twin and earth is neither flexible or heat resistant.

but installed in thousands of homes without any trouble. very little heat travels down below a hob. heat rises in defiance of gravity. :p . something to do with a reduction in density of air with temperature rise. which is a good thing because you put the pans on top. if you had to put them underneath , they's fall off. :eek:.

The connection is such a poor effort
This unsafe type of connection is mostly done by people who have little idea about electrical safety
They mostly lack the knowledge to appreciate the dangers their efforts can cause, their amateur efforts get things working,however, they are mostly unaware of how poorly are those efforts compared to what is a reasonable standard

Whoever made that connection needs to think seriously about ceasing doing electrical work

Reply to Help with Hob pleas...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net