Discuss Help with Installing Second Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

JayO84

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about how to install a new switch to toggle a light I installed into a 2-gang box where an existing switch with power source exists. What I would like to do is utilize the existing power source without effecting the operation of the existing switch, meaning I don't want the second switch to operate the new light or effect the operation of the new switch. I tried pig tailing the black to use on both switches and then capping the whites together but this seemed to cause a dependence on the old switch to be on so the new switch would work.

electric help.jpg

Here is the setup before connection of the new switch, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just want to update this with the solution. Turns out I was mixing up the black wires and pig tailed the wrong one which was going to the light, once I traced the correct lead, I pig tailed that and it worked. Also make sure that the power lead goes to the off terminal on both switches.

Hi, I have a question about how to install a new switch to toggle a light I installed into a 2-gang box where an existing switch with power source exists. What I would like to do is utilize the existing power source without effecting the operation of the existing switch, meaning I don't want the second switch to operate the new light or effect the operation of the new switch. I tried pig tailing the black to use on both switches and then capping the whites together but this seemed to cause a dependence on the old switch to be on so the new switch would work.

View attachment 104283

Here is the setup before connection of the new switch, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You have a black wire as your hot coming to your existing switch and it should terminate on the top screw on each switch. Then they should operate independently. Turn all power off. Be careful of the white wires because a lot of electricians use the white wire for the switch leg. It’s probably not a true neutral and you will need a total of 3 wires and an equipment ground.

Reply to Help with Installing Second Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net