Discuss Help with my sons college assignment ( I am not academic) (thick) 1 Question only in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ICE

Hi Guys,

Although I know the answer to what I am going to ask I just don't know how to explain it in a way that would be understood so can any of you bright sparks help my son out.

The question is:

Using Ohm's law, give the definition of the standard unit of power. ( showing any workings)

Cheers in advance

Re: Help with my sons college assignment ( I am not academic) (thick) 1 Question onl

Well I think I would put something like......" using ohms law, we can define "power" using the following methods.....Power (P) = Current (I) x Voltage (V).......Power (P) = Voltage (V) (squared) / Resistance (R)......and also Power (P) = Current (I) (squared) x Resistance (R).

The sum of any of the above equations will give the total power consumed with the circuit in watts.

Something like that....

Re: Help with my sons college assignment ( I am not academic) (thick) 1 Question onl

power is the rate of doing work and is measured in watts W

power = work done / time taken (W)

in an electrical cct:

power = voltage x current (W) eqn 5

from ohms law:

Voltage = I x R (v) eqn 6

CURRENT = V / R (A) eqn 7

now subs eqn (6) into eqn (5) , we have

power = (I x R) x current = I 2 x R (W) (thats I squared x R)

and subs eqn (7) into eqn (5) we have

power = Voltage x V / R = V 2 / R (W) (thats V squared / R)

As stated pwr can be therefore found using any of the 3 formulae

P = V x I
P = I 2 x R
P = V 2 / R

hope that helped?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers Guys,

Thats Fantastic super duper puker and Brill.

Cheers

One more for you boffins:

Keep it simple though please as it is only GCSE

Briefly describe your understanding of 'POTENTIAL DROP' and give an example...

Cheers

do u mean voltage drop or potential difference?

what is the whole question?

OHMS LAW is a basic formula for electrical..from this formula we can elaborate more formula....
V = I x R
P = I x V
P= I x V x sqrt 3 x pf
...and many more :D

I thought volt drop and potential drop were the same thing? yes, volt drop

this is from wikipedia.

Voltage drop is the reduction in voltage in an electrical circuit between the source and load. In electrical wiring national and local electrical codes may set guidelines for maximum voltage drop allowed in a circuit, to ensure reasonable efficiency of distribution and proper operation of electrical equipment (the maximum permitted voltage drop varies from one country to another)[1].
Voltage drop may be neglected when the impedance of the interconnecting conductors is small relative to the other components of the circuit.
For example, an electric space heater may very well have a resistance of ten ohms, and the wires which supply it may have a resistance of 0.2 ohms, about 2% of the total circuit resistance. This means that 2% of the supplied voltage is actually being lost by the wire itself.
Excessive voltage drop will result in unsatisfactory operation of electrical equipment, and represents energy wasted in the wiring system. Voltage drop can also cause damage to electrical motors.
In electronic design and power transmission, various techniques are used to compensate for the effect of voltage drop on long circuits or where voltage levels must be accurately maintained. The simplest way to reduce voltage drop is to increase the diameter of the conductor between the source and the load which lowers the overall resistance

I thought it was something like this, power = potential / resistance eg 1 volt will produce 1 Amp at 1 Ohm but i did this over 50 years ago !

Hi Guys,

Although I know the answer to what I am going to ask I just don't know how to explain it in a way that would be understood so can any of you bright sparks help my son out.

The question is:

Using Ohm's law, give the definition of the standard unit of power. ( showing any workings)

Cheers in advance
[SIZE=+3]Ohms laws[/SIZE]
A simplified explanation One the most important and fundamental laws of electronics is that of ohms law. This law defines the relationships between current, voltage and resistance.
A good way to understand ohms laws is an analogy with a domestic water system.
The same way that an electric current flows through a copper wire, water flows through a copper pipe in a water system.
Most people do not think to much about the fact but when they turn on tap the water comes out as a result of the pressure that is provided by a pumping station some miles away.
This water pressure is similar to that used to drive electricity around a circuit, the potential difference or pd for short is the term that is used - this is measured in volts.
This driving force is provided by a battery or in the case of mains electricity a generator at the power station

Definition of 1 Volt The unit of electromotive force or electric pressure. It is the electromotive force(pd) which, if steadily applied to a circuit having a resistance of one ohm, will produce a current of one ampere
The water that flows through a copper pipe can be considered similar to that which flows through an electric cable.
The current flow in a cable cannot of course come out of the cable like water can leak out of pipes or come out of the tap
However a force is required to drive it and resistance to this flow is encountered, the flow of current is measured in amps

Definition of 1 Amp The standard unit of electric current. The current produced by a pressure of one volt in a circuit having a resistance of one ohm
An amp is quite a large measure of current flow and you will probably find that most circuits will have milliamps flowing through them - that is one thousands of an amp.
When water or an electric current flows then a resistance to that flow is encountered, the measurement of resistance is an ohm

Definition of 1 Ohm The unit by which electrical resistance is measured. One ohm is equal to the current of one ampere which will flow when a voltage of one volt is applied
Now that you are aware of what a ohm, volt and amp are - I shall introduce you to the mathematical relationship that is ohms law.

Definition of Ohms Law the principle that the electric current passing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference across it, provided that the temperature remains constant. The constant of proportionality is the resistance of the conductor
The definition above is quite a mouthful, it simply states that the current passing through a conductor increases if you increase the voltage
Obvious really - increase the pressure (voltage) and you will find more current will flow.
All circuits have a certain degree of opposition (resistance) to current flow through them, the relationship is given by R=V/I,
An increase in current flow with the same voltage will assume an decrease in resistance
triangle.gif
The above triangle allows the student to calculate any of the 1 of the 3 variables if the other 2 are known. Cover the variable that you require and perform the resulting calculation.
Consider the circuit shown below
ohms.gif
The resistance of that circuit would be given by R=V/I 24/2 = 12 ohms
The current flowing through the circuit would be given by V/IR 24/12 = 2amps
The voltage would be given by I x R 2 x 12 = 24 volts
If you continue your studies to a more advanced level than GCSE then you will find that ohms law is one of the most fundamental electronics laws

Reply to Help with my sons college assignment ( I am not academic) (thick) 1 Question only in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net