Discuss Hidden or micro cameras. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dizzy_Maskell

Guys I'm a maintenance electrician and spent years in the testing game too but never done anything on cameras etc.

We think we have a nosey neighbour who intrudes round the back garden regular nothing sinister just snooping and wanted to catch them at it.
Might be wrong but we want to put cameras up to check and also we had a shed robbed so handy for monitoring that too.

What type do I need I want something small and inconspicuous so people don't know it's there and that records or sends a signal to a phone or tablet etc.

I've no idea on this stuff is what I'm after gonna cost the earth as I don't really want to spend that much on a camera for the back garden

Any help greatly appreciated makes. Models and places to buy

Thanks guys

You can usually buy kits from Maplin or CPC that let you do what you are after. All depends on what you are after. Same with the cameras. You could buy something like these. DEpends on where you can put them and how good they are.
CMOSMA - UNBRANDED - CMOS MONO BOARD CAMERA 3.6MM | CPC UK
XC960SC - X-VISION - HD960H Covert Snake Camera with Audio | CPC UK

There is so much stuff out there. Question to the guys who install these kits. Do you legally have to display a sign or sticker stating you have camera's?

Good point I'll hope more get back to me.

Want one ideally can plug in so not messing with batteries and and small enough to not make house look like s fortress or be seen by nosey neighbours

You can usually buy kits from Maplin or CPC that let you do what you are after. All depends on what you are after. Same with the cameras. You could buy something like these. DEpends on where you can put them and how good they are.
CMOSMA - UNBRANDED - CMOS MONO BOARD CAMERA 3.6MM | CPC UK
XC960SC - X-VISION - HD960H Covert Snake Camera with Audio | CPC UK

There is so much stuff out there. Question to the guys who install these kits. Do you legally have to display a sign or sticker stating you have camera's?
if you want to display a sign or need to, put a big one on your front looking at garage/front door and make sure it stands out, then they wont be looking for tiny hidden ones

Home owners are not required to comply with the Data protection act, only business & commercial. But there are guidelines to follow, which are more down to intrusion & Privacy. Cameras must not intrude any other property, including public areas (paths, parks etc) Copies of video footage, must be made available to any Government or Police force if requested.

Are there any guidelines regarding audio recording in commercial settings?
Yes, generally do not do it!!
It is very difficult to provide a justification for recording sound on a camera as this would usually be considered private, whereas your physical presence is normally visible.
If there are specific cogent reasons for sound recording then permission can be granted for this purpose but in general it would not be allowed.

...I generally like to combine the security and monitoring tasks,into one simple job,by spending the night in the garden with my sketch-pad...the audio is catered for, by way of notes ...

No signage needed...local folk are already wise...:yesnod:

Thanks Richard.
The reason for asking was I have a mate who works in a wholesaler and they've recently upgraded their cctv system and it has become apparent that audio recording is taking place unknown to staff and customers.
This action has been confirmed by the Manager making comments about certain conversations when he wasn't present in the first instance.
So was just looking to provide some kind of assistance in how they should move forward and would appreciate any advice from knowledgeable members here.
Thanks, Dipzy

Home owners are not required to comply with the Data protection act, only business & commercial. But there are guidelines to follow, which are more down to intrusion & Privacy. Cameras must not intrude any other property, including public areas (paths, parks etc) Copies of video footage, must be made available to any Government or Police force if requested.

"Hello tazz",

Good advice about the Data Protection Act and ensuring that CCTV Cameras don`t intrude on other people`s properties / privacy.

I don`t want to cause an argument about not being legally able to have CCTV Cameras viewing Public areas / Paths [Pavements ?] etc. - but I have previously taken Legal advice about exactly that point:

When I wanted to install CCTV Cameras to `watch` my Car which is usually parked on the road outside my House I looked into the legality of the cameras viewing the Gateway / Pavement and Roadway - my Solicitor advised Me that `Public areas` like these are treated as such in Law and are not in any way `Private`.

People have no right of `Privacy` while either walking along a Pavement - driving or walking along a Road and obviously not when entering a Gateway.

I obtained the Legal advice with a 5 minute phone call to my Solicitor [not charged by Him] because the last thing that I wanted was to get into a situation where someone who was irritated by my CCTV Cameras would be able to `Report` Me to the Local Authority for example and that I would be forced to remove the CCTV Cameras from the front of my House / `protecting` my Car.

Please don`t be offended by this message tazz - I wanted to post these details just in case what You mentioned about not being legally able to view Public areas might prevent some future readers from installing CCTV at their properties because the Cameras would be viewing the Pavement / Roadway etc.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Again, domestic you can use audio recording, but guidance again it must not to listen to other peoples property...this includes them talking in there own garden.
For commercial...a real grey area....rule of thumb here, and at this moment in time... if it can be proved as part of the security system, to be used as evidence then is legal to record audio. Within the work place a Canteen, rest room, toilets or changing rooms. Would not be classed as an area requiring audio recording for security purposes. Loading bays, reception areas or shop front, could be deemed as areas requiring audio, to back up video evidence.

Last edited:
Chris your post fine, Advice from members who have been in this situation is always helpful.

With public filming your solicitor is correct, but this is why commercial business must register with the Government site "Who is watching me.org". The problem is public recording must be available to any person requesting a copy of themselves being recorded. Now I doubt anyone will request a house owner to submit footage, as they don`t have to register, nor keep evidence. but as with every act in this country, it can change with just one winning court case.

Appreciate the reply Tazz, but it just doesn't feel right to me regarding the audio. We have come to accept 'big brother' is watching us but listening in as well......... hmmm

Common sense really comes in with audio....if you install in a staff canteen, them its very likely the staff would have a case against the company, as its not really a area requiring security cctv or audio.

A front reception is the other side, apart from cctv footage of say an assault, audio could prove a racial assault, or if life was threatened. CCTV could show no violence, but audio could proved a robbery of cash, where the robber demands money with violence.
Yes its a sad world, what we have to do to protect ourselves

Have a look at this COP section 3.2.2, not conclusive but "strong presumption" is fairly clear cut, but in a public place only.

Thanks Richard,

3.2.2 Any proposed deployment that includes audio recording in a public place is likely to require a strong justification of necessity to establish its proportionality. There is a strong presumption that a surveillance camera system must not be used to record conversations as this is highly intrusive and unlikely to be justified.

Bold text is what I was originally thinking and nice to be able to prove such with an official document.

Will have a good read through of the rest of the COP later.

Last edited:
Have a look at this COP section 3.2.2, not conclusive but "strong presumption" is fairly clear cut, but in a public place only.

Like all the acts reports & guidlines published.....nothing has yet been challenged in a court. Once it does, then this again will change the guidlines / acts.

Reply to Hidden or micro cameras. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net