Discuss High Earth Fault Loop Impedance readings caused by RCDs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have encountered a problem with EFL (Zs) testing a couple of times recently.
I have had unusually high readings for the length of circuit and earthing system type and the increase in impedance seems to be coming from resistance across the line pole of the RCD in the consumer unit?

Has anyone else had this and have any explanation for it? as I am worried about he circuits in question achieving their disconnection times with such high readings!

Thanks

have had same problem as ray says check incomer of rcd and outcoming side if vastly different then could be loose conection inside rcd and as these have limits that they must meet .if new send it back and they will replace. newlec rcds and megger testers just dont mix. but you still have to meet your 80% values to meet disconnection times

have had same problem as ray says check incomer of rcd and outcoming side if vastly different then could be loose conection inside rcd and as these have limits that they must meet .if new send it back and they will replace. newlec rcds and megger testers just dont mix. but you still have to meet your 80% values to meet disconnection times
so..if carrying out a measured value of Zs (he must be for RCDs to be in the equasion)..is this a true statement?

Higher Zs test readings than the calculated figure (from R1,R2&Ze), are quite common.
It is a by-product of not tripping the RCD during testing, the tester cannot put a big enough current through the RCD to accurately assess the Zs, so it calculates the result from the low current test it does.
Some testers are better than others, and I believe the Fluke range are the most accurate in this test as they give very short bursts of high current to bypass the RCD tripping problem, and using an higher current give a more accurate reading.

I've experienced a number of different results that were higher than expected, MK were the worst, giving a ~0.50 ohm higher reading. The internal electronics of the RCD also affect the result when using the 'no trip' testing function.

Reply to High Earth Fault Loop Impedance readings caused by RCDs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net