Discuss Home power intermittently tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

devion

DIY
Reaction score
Recently my RCCB keeps keeps tripping intermittently. It can happen between several hours to few days when a trip will occur. During the trips, no additional appliances were switched on or being used. There are times when it simply trips in middle of night when most appliances are not running.
There are also times when the trips can happen successively a few times in a minute but was able to recover after several resets.
So far am able to reset the RCCB all the time.

On few occasions, one of my MCBs also tripped & this helped me to suspect the issue could be isolated to one of my rooms. However in most cases only the RCCB trips, hopefully the occasional MCB tripping is not leading me to a wild goose chase.

With this, I had to switch off each devices in this room connected to the tripped MCB & monitor several days if trips been resolved.
Reading few blogs, MCB trips could be due to faulty appliance or overloading.
In this room, I have 3 PCs, 1 router & 3 handphone chargers plugged in into 2 socket outlets with 2 multiple sockets extension. I had this connection for several months w/o power trips which is why I am not suspecting overloading here.
In some instances of power trips during the nights, PCs & chargers are not in used, although power was not switched off for the chargers. Only the router is turned on all this time.
if faulty appliance, I would expect the trips would be almost immediate & not so intermittent.

Was hoping to find out any quick method to determine which of this is the cause of the intermittent trips other than isolating one each time & monitor several days.
Another suspect could be the RCCB itself although this would cost me to purchase a new one or engage a licensed electrician to fix it.

If the MCB is tripping then you potentially have quite a serious fault. I would definitely get an electrician in to look at this. Someone with the proper test equipment will be able to narrow things down.

Sounds like the MCB is tripping as well though
This was my initial suspect too as the fridge is the only high powered appliance turned on all the time. However the occasional trip on one of my MCB is not on the circuit of the kitchen. Is there a way to check whether the fridge is the culprit, it is 10yr old & I do see some sweating outside the freezer compartment, but this has been like that for past year w/o power trips.
Isolating the fridge is not a choice since I need to use it 24/7.
The intermittent trips makes it so difficult to pinpoint where exactly is the cause.

Can you use an extension cable and plug the fridge into a socket on a different circuit?

Reply to Home power intermittently tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net