Discuss Honeywell Thermostat Upgrade in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is not my understanding - that may well be wrong.
It has batteries exactly the same as the CM900
And it simply fits in place using the back plate of the cm900.

So far a dial stats go - my experience is the lag - hit 24 - then hope to remain at that - then wait until it hits 19 before it kicks in

The transmitter unit has batteries yes, but the receiver requires a permanent live supply.

Would you like me to type this a few more times?

You don't have to take my word for it, I only work on 3/4 domestic boiler control circuits each week, most of them having wireless stats fitted these days. It's not like I know what I'm doing!

The presence of a dial does not affect the lag (hysteresis) of the stat, that is a product of how the stat works. A mechanical stat will have greater lag than an electronic one. Electronic dial stats are available, such as the Drayton digistat or digistat RF which are as accurate.

Having a TRV in the room where the roomstat is will break the control feedback loop so the system will not perform correctly

Sorry Sir -
I do not have the experience to debate with you - you win.

As it stands at the moment -
I have a CM900 - fitted with Batteries - that does exactly as intended - namely it has only 2 wires connected; and it controls the temp like a dream. EXCEPT her indoors wants to control the temp at lounge level. (Who am I to argue about any logic).

So - it seems to me; that if as advertised; I can replace the current unit (again with batteries) and advertised as a 2 wire connection (again exactly as what I have) with a unit that sits on the Hallway wall - but gives a wireless unit to control from the lounge or wherever - seems an answer??????

Honeywell DT92E1000 RF Digital Room Thermostat: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Sorry Sir -

I have a CM900 - fitted with Batteries - that does exactly as intended - namely it has only 2 wires connected; and it controls the temp like a dream. EXCEPT her indoors wants to control the temp at lounge level. (Who am I to argue about any logic).

So - it seems to me; that if as advertised; I can replace the current unit (again with batteries) and advertised as a 2 wire connection (again exactly as what I have) with a unit that sits on the Hallway wall - but gives a wireless unit to control from the lounge or wherever - seems an answer??????

If if and I say if you decide to control your heating by the temperature of the lounge you better leave the doors open or else you may well have a very cold house

Sorry Sir -

For which the installation instructions here http://www.honeywelluk.com/Documents/Installation-Guide/pdf/1075.pdf clearly state that a 230V live supply so required for and all of the wiring diagrams indicate that a permanent live and neutral plus the two switch wires (one in, one out) are required for the receiver unit (BDR92 relay box) along with absolutely no mention of battery power.

Shall I say it again?

I, like many people here, have fitted a lot of these things and have a bit of a clue about what is required.
The receiver requires a permanent live connection which will not be present at your existing thermostats position.

Nothing complicated about that either, but some folks find crossing the road troublesome.

Compared to turning a dial up and down it is nowhere near as easy.

I'm all in favour of modern technology and gadgets, but when it comes to heating and lighting I want a switch I can turn on for on and off for off. And a lot of people out there agree.

Now going a step further and fitting something like a nest or hive I can fully appreciate as it actually seems to be a good system and gives you the ability to turn it on and off before you get home and actually have a warm house when you want it.

Gonna give up on this.

The bottom line is this -
A stat that works has 2 wires - AND IT DOES work

I want to replace with a fixed unit - and have a wireless control.
No argument about power etc - NO NEEDED
So for all the doubters...

Original stat replaced with [h=1]Honeywell DT92E1000 RF Digital Room Thermostat[/h]
And now have room total wireless control.

So what's all this stuff about power etc...
Sorted.

Yes the stat you have at the moment works on two wires, that is because it is just an electronic switch which is powered by the batteries.

The DT92E is the same, it uses battery power to operate an electronic switch. But the RF version, which is the wireless version, transmits a signal to the receiver unit, this is the BDR91 unit which does require a permanent mains supply.

This image shows the wiring diagrams, all with a permanent L and N connected along with the two switched lives. and there is even a picture of it fitted with four conductors connected to the two terminal blocks inside it.

93757d89b811717f4165e76fb2c6a22e.jpg

I am happy to be proved wrong as a wireless receiver which does not require a mains supply would be incredibly useful for some jobs, and I look forward to seeing the pictures of this unit installed and working without a mains supply!

Yes the stat you have at the moment works on two wires, that is because it is just an electronic switch which is powered by the batteries.

The DT92E is the same, it uses battery power to operate an electronic switch. But the RF version, which is the wireless version, transmits a signal to the receiver unit, this is the BDR91 unit which does require a permanent mains supply.

This image shows the wiring diagrams, all with a permanent L and N connected along with the two switched lives. and there is even a picture of it fitted with four conductors connected to the two terminal blocks inside it.

93757d89b811717f4165e76fb2c6a22e.jpg

I am happy to be proved wrong as a wireless receiver which does not require a mains supply would be incredibly useful for some jobs, and I look forward to seeing the pictures of this unit installed and working without a mains supply!

I agree.

Reply to Honeywell Thermostat Upgrade in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net