Discuss How bespoke is this? Is there an alternative? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice on how bespoke this transformer is?

Output KVA: 2380
Connection: Ddoy11
Duty: 30sec/200min
Sec volts: 680/680
Sec amps: 1041/1041
Temp rise: 20deg/30sec
IP54
Type: DWound
3 phase
Frequency: 50Hz
PRM Volts: 11000
PRM Amps: 125
Cooling: AN AN
Ins class: H
% Z: 12

Is there anything that could be used in it's place that's more readily available?

The transformer has gone down & we're being told it's a 35 week lead time to replace, so desperately looking at whether we could hire something or buy something more readily available to replace it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I wouldn't say that is a standard transformer, have you tried Slaters in Newcastle or Winders in Leeds? they do secondhand units and may be able to help you.

That's quite a big transformer with what appears to be an uncommon secondary voltage.

What exactly has 'gone down' about it?
Have you explored options for on-site repair?

That's quite a big transformer with what appears to be an uncommon secondary voltage.

What exactly has 'gone down' about it?
Have you explored options for on-site repair?
I'm not 100% sure on the fault, but there's a large scorch mark inside the casing...insulation winding failure perhaps? We had HV engineers out to inspect & they have had to take it away to investigate. We're awaiting the inspection report for the exact issue. We have asked them to repair if possible, but they have said they won't guarantee any repair, if it's possible to do one (which I understand & don't have an issue with particularly).

We're looking at longer term replacement in full as everything is getting a bit long in the tooth, but we really can't afford a 35 week minimum downtime. It's a long justification process for the investment as well unfortunately.

it seems unusual to me,
if i am reading it right its about 2.4Mw but with a duty cycle of 30 seconds every 200 minutes

I presume this is for some special purpose, not a step down for distribution to general equipment.

reading between the lines, you cant tell us what the application is and thats fine.
but wow, that must make something big, really hot in a short space of time.
bet it is quite exciting to watch.
No unfortunately I can't divulge what it's used for, sorry. But yes, it's pretty impressive to see! 😀 one of the reasons we're keen to get back up & running again as quickly as possible 🤞

I don't think you have many options, i think if it was my problem to deal with then I would,

A.
get the repair work underway as soon as possible, even if they cant guarantee it, they must be happy that the repair is safe and the transformer is safe to put back into service. even if they are not willing to guarantee it for any particular period of time.

at the same time

B. place the order for a new transformer, even if it is 35 weeks.
lets face it, it wont take more than a week or two for them to actually manufacture it, most of the wait is for a slot to fit it into the manufacturing schedule.

I don't know how much use it gets but realistically if they repair it then i would hope you have good odds of it lasting until the replacement is made.

If this is something that could cost the company in the 100's of thousands or more then some people might consider taking the MD of the transformer company (and his wife or mistress) all expenses paid to the Bahamas or similar for a week to discuss lead times.
you never know your luck, when you all get back there might have been an unexpected cancelation and they managed to fit in your transformer build whilst you were busy entertaining your guests.

I was going to suggest R Baker (Electrical) Ltd but a quick check shows they only usually do up to 250kVA.

I'm sure all of us would like to hear how/when this is resolved!

I'm surprised they don't have one on standby?
I'm not. Seen a lot of unique test sets in my day where no quick alternative is ever in place.

To be fair, transformers are usually long-lived and reliable (accidental damage aside) so it is a lot of money to be sitting around "just in case". That presumes someone has worked out the cost of 35-weeks down time versus the depreciation cost of a spare...

The 680/680V looks odd, is it two phase out instead of a star/delta output?

It might be you can get a 3-4MVA 11kV to 400V transformer as 2nd hand or something and then a separate LV unit to change that, but I really doubt the lead-time on the custom LV one would be any better, and it might need more design input as well on protection and volt-drop under load, etc.

The 680/680V looks odd, is it two phase out instead of a star/delta output?
Actually trying to remember decades ago, but I guess "Ddoy11" given in the specs above should be Dd0y11 as it has two secondaries, one delta in phase (0 deg) with the HV delta primary (Dd0) and the second as star rotated to 30 degrees (11 oclock) as Dy11 ?

And both are 680V (the 680/680 bit)

So maybe feeding a 6-phase rectifier?

Hopefully someone like @Julie. can enlighten us!

I was thinking the same thing, looks like rectifier input leading to induction heating at high frequency.....
Given the short duty cycle, that could be the case.

I had been wondering about a big VFD, and spotted these folks hire transformers but no idea if that is of any help to the OP:

Given the short duty cycle, that could be the case.

I had been wondering about a big VFD, and spotted these folks hire transformers but no idea if that is of any help to the OP:
Op silent on application for understandable reasons, my brother's firm uses Inductotherm equipment for melting scrap steel into melting pots for castings, pri/sec voltage looked familiar but it has been a while since i was on-site

Op silent on application for understandable reasons, my brother's firm uses Inductotherm equipment for melting scrap steel into melting pots for castings, pri/sec voltage looked familiar but it has been a while since i was on-site
No need for the OP to state the purpose, etc, just that it sounded a bit like the large VFD drive setup and so maybe they might have a hire transformer capable of temporary use at less than 35 week notice.

Actually trying to remember decades ago, but I guess "Ddoy11" given in the specs above should be Dd0y11 as it has two secondaries, one delta in phase (0 deg) with the HV delta primary (Dd0) and the second as star rotated to 30 degrees (11 oclock) as Dy11 ?

And both are 680V (the 680/680 bit)

So maybe feeding a 6-phase rectifier?

Hopefully someone like @Julie. can enlighten us!

You are correct, the uppercase letter (D, Y, Z, V, etc) refers to the primary winding, the lowercase letters refer to secondary winding(s)

The number(s) 0, 1, 11, 6 etc refer to the phase shift between windings (referred to the primary)

There could also be a n which indicates a star point.

So Yny0 would be a star primary winding with the star point brought out, a star secondary winding where the star point is not avaliable, and the windings are in-phase with each other.

Dd0 (the first part of the OP's tx) means Delta primary, delta secondary, both windings in-phase with each other.

Dy11 means Delta primary, star secondary (star point not available) in phase group 11 ( 30 deg - think 11 o'clock)

A multi winding such as Dd0y11 means a Delta primary, one delta secondary (in phase with the primary), and another star secondary (without star point) in phase group 11 - 30 deg at around 11 o'clock.

This is quite an unusual winding in general - I assume it is for a solid state rectifier/inverter.

Traditionally, for both Mercury arc rectifiers (and rotary converters) they would use a winding known as double star - often with a delta primary. This is because it would provide a proper star point for all 6 secondary phases, and the primary Delta would allow triplen currents to circulate (third, ninth, 15th, 21st .. harmonics ) - this forms a half wave 6 phase rectifier

Solid state rectifiers are usually arranged in a bridge, thus they don't need the transformer to have a star point - basically they are full wave over 6 phases, again triplen harmonics can circulate in the primary.

As another note, there are sometimes transformers with tertiary windings, this may also be Dd0y11, but more usually Yd1yn0

The reason for this is that if you had a Yyn - you couldn't actually get an earth fault current, or neutral current!

Appears odd? - for a current to flow in the one secondary phase (star) (say red to neutral), then current must flow in the one primary (star) phase - again red to "neutral" - but there isn't a connection!

The only path would be through the other primary windings, meaning there must be current in their secondary equivalents - so it appears open circuit.

Adding a delta winding allows this secondary earth fault to be transferred to the three primary windings equally.

In this case though the rating of the tertiary winding is zero, or small whilst the OP's case the rating of the two secondaries is identical - so it isn't a tertiary type.

If you know the exact use, and the rectifier manufacturer, they could advise if alternative windings are suitable, and/or perhaps they could provide a temporary unit.

You could solve it using two transformers
One Dd0, and one Dy11 - each would be around half size at circ 1.2MVA each these would be potentially available off the shelf.

Reply to How bespoke is this? Is there an alternative? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net