Search the forum,

Discuss How cables get from CU to first floor / loft in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
quick question for you guys. If we say the house again is timer frame with plasterboard covering the frame, 2 floors ground & first. When the cables exit your CU in a domestic property and go into the wall cavity, how do they get to your loft. The ring for upstairs prob jumps into the wall cavity with the lighting radial cables for upstairs and come out of the top of the timber frame then run round the ring mains of upstairs. But how do the lighting cables reach the loft. Do i drill a hole diagonally up into wall cavity from below the floor then drill a hole into the cross noggin & run cable up the wall to the loft? Im new at this guys. Wall construction plus entry & exits from them im finding tough as dont do domestic.

if it's new build, you go up behind the plasterboard or in studding. on rewires, usually find a route up airing cupboard or similar, or chase in.

quick question for you guys. If we say the house again is timer frame with plasterboard covering the frame, 2 floors ground & first. When the cables exit your CU in a domestic property and go into the wall cavity, how do they get to your loft. The ring for upstairs prob jumps into the wall cavity with the lighting radial cables for upstairs and come out of the top of the timber frame then run round the ring mains of upstairs. But how do the lighting cables reach the loft. Do i drill a hole diagonally up into wall cavity from below the floor then drill a hole into the cross noggin & run cable up the wall to the loft? Im new at this guys. Wall construction plus entry & exits from them im finding tough as dont do domestic.

Ask a sparky to do it properly?

As above you need a dedicated route for cables to top of property, in my house I went through my airing/boiler cupboard in surface trunking,

Just ensure if you are routing behind materials that you are within safe zones, I prefer a hidden surface trunking for future proofing

Re Murdoch

I am actually an apprentice electrician with but i work in a large factory. I spend my days working with motors, inverters & plcs. All installs are surface mounted s/s trunking, conduit & cable tray. So domestic installs i have never done. The questions I am asking are just out of curiosity. Im sure i will cover them during my apprenticeship but just thought id ask. Thanks to everyone else for your advice. Every day is a school day

Much appreciated

From the CU (because that designates a safe zone) straight up. Then from the ceiling/floor space up to the loft in another safe zone as designated by a socket or switch. Or up the inside of a cupboard in trunking.
Domestic is the arse end of the trade mate, stick to what you're doing now and worry no more about house bashing.

From the CU (because that designates a safe zone) straight up. Then from the ceiling/floor space up to the loft in another safe zone as designated by a socket or switch. Or up the inside of a cupboard in trunking.
Domestic is the arse end of the trade mate, stick to what you're doing now and worry no more about house bashing.

Exactly, they let any moron have a go at house bashing these days, they call them domestic Idiots, you're in a better field where you are mate

atb

his profile clearly states he's an apprentice.

Thanks to everyone that was kind enough to help me out on the questions i asked. I actually am an apprentice industrial electrician for those few cynical members who posted. Domestic wiring is very simple it is just how cables access & leave wall cavities that interested me, thats all my questions were about. I will just ask the electrical engineers that i work with or my training officer from now on if i have any other domestic queries.

Peterdaniels & trev - thanks for the support guys. I think im defo heading in the right direction, im hoping to follow a few of my friends into the offshore wind farm sector in Britain & Germany. Money is incredible (100k). Once im qualified im going to sit my seimens s7 plc course & the relevant access safety courses & hopefully i will have enough contacts to get in.

Thanks again for your help guys

Wullie, there is a thing called Part P in England which has led to a Electrical Trainee category of short course trained 'domestic installers'.

Some idiots don't even look and see you are from Scotland and therefore think to themself 'Is he a proper trainee or a hated Electrical Trainee'. If you can put up with some robust views the site is actually quite good so I would advise you to stick around. There is even a trainee section where you should be able to get answers without abuse.

just as there are no problems, only solutions. might have that as my signature since none of you believe my PHD etc.

Good luck with your apprenticeship and further studies. I'm glad you got some constructive answers to your questions and apologies for the rough ride in the other replies, it appears the season of goodwill to all men is coming late this year.

Wireless electricity is the future for Domestic Wiring.

Out from CU into transmitter & beamed from there into every room of the property with ne'er a chase, conduit or capping in sight.

Clip direct to the wall and through the nearest window frame, clip up the outside wall then back through one of the upstairs window frames. Paint cables to match

Traditional method :)

Reply to How cables get from CU to first floor / loft in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net