Discuss How do you solder small PCB components like this in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi how to do you solder chips like this back onto the board?

usb.jpg

Do you need a microscope and some special type of solder gun?

Thanks

you need a few grands worth of specialized gear mate. others will know what it's called. i don't . if i can't see it, i don't touch it. ( except the electricity in the occasional live wire that is)

Soldering iron, plenty of flux and dont dwell to long on one spot.

Once the solder starts to flow, slide the iron around the chip and follow with solder.

Once soldered then using a magnifying glass or eye piece check that there are no shorts.

USB Memory stick.

I want to take off the chip and mount in on a known working board.

Would you not just be better off buying an S-RAM chip from ebay and using that instead if you are wanting RAM for a DIY music player project or something, desoldering and resoldering will heat it up a bit, you could use a rework solderer on it for a few seconds to see if a pin has lifted, other than that is there any point in trying to see if the small pcb is faulty by moving the chips around? there are only a small handful of components on it and it is unlikely that they will have failed...if using for a project, just buy a new chip, and if looking to see if faulty IC or PCB, its not worth desoldering the chip on the good unit and risking heat damage or bad solder joints on that as well...

Reply to How do you solder small PCB components like this in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I disassembled a Christmas light projector to try and identify the cause of why the images from the projector weren't moving at all, when they...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have an all-in-one washer/dryer unit and it is giving me error codes. I have the manual that describes how to test the various...
Replies
Views
Hi all. New diy member here. I have an Ariston 1400wd washing machine which has a burnt out 7 pin chip on the main pcb. I can read 311 411 on...
Replies
Views
I am working within a project that involves access control and video, in a Georgia facility. Another unrelated installer is using properly sized...
Replies
Views
We have this type of "mechanical" timer switch to control our central heating, which is Potterton combi boiler. The switch keeps failing after 2-3...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock