Discuss How do you split your loads? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuuk1

After some advice really..

I have the following circuits on the first RCD:

1)Upstairs Lights
2)Downstairs Ring
3)Kitchen Ring
4)Intruder Alarm

And on the second RCD:

1)Downstairs Lights
2)Upstairs Ring
3)Garage
4)Cooker

Would you have done anything differently and if so, why?

Personally I would have swapped the kitchen ring with the garage and the iintruder alarm with the cooker so that the kitchen and downstairs ring are on different RCD's.

Nothing wrong with the way you have done it though.

Nothing wrong with that configuration matey. Maybe an idea to put the intruder alarm on its own RCBO if it is a high integrity fuse board solely to avoid the remote possibility of the battery within the alarm panel draining in the event of a fault from another circuit on the same bank causing the RCD to trip. I tend to advise this with Fridge/Freezer circuits as well.

I will swap the kitchen around then, thanks.

The only reason I ask is because its my first domestic rewire so just not sure of how the guys that do this day in day out would do it.

^^^^^^ I would have done the same with the kitchen ring, so in case you loose the downstairs ring, you will still have some sockets downstairs. (Im assuming the kitchen is downstairs).

Jay

^^^^^^ I would have done the same with the kitchen ring, so in case you loose the downstairs ring, you will still have some sockets downstairs. (Im assuming the kitchen is downstairs).

Jay

Yes assuming kitchen downstairs also. Plus also assuming cooker has a socket outlet that's why I suggested swapping the Cooker with the intruder alarm so you have a socket outlet still on in the kitchen.

Jay
agreed and this is what I used to do. But then when you start considering lighting circuits etc, split over them 2 rcds, you can't end up with it being split well?
its hard for me to explain but now I,
have the kitchen on its own mcb, but still have this in the same rcd as downstairs, then over the rcds I split sockets and lighting circuits up, so something is always on.

Lights on one RCD, sockets on the other. Fault on sockets, still got light. Fault on lights, plug a lamp in. Cooker straight out the back of the main switch so I get me dinner regardless.

Separate lights
separate up and down power
keep down power and kitchen power separate
keep kitchen power and cooker separate

hope your rewire goes well

Reply to How do you split your loads? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net