Discuss How easy is it to blow the DNO's cutout? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For sheer stupidity.
So what would you do? You get to site with half a dozen other lads who all have mortgages to pay and the job is due to be signed off it 4 weeks do you say hey tough luck lads, its the DNO that replaces that fuse not me but they should be along in a few weeks if you are all ok with that. or do you get some power on by hook or by crook so everyone still has a job?

The last two jobs I've turned up at they have had to get an extension lead from next door and pay the neighbour £20 a week.

or do you get some power on by hook or by crook so everyone still has a job?
I'm going to give you a line from my old gaffer. He's dead now (from old age) and had a lifetime of electrical experience.
"Many people turn on and hope it won't go bang. We are electricians and we only energise if we know it won't go bang. It's less exciting but we live longer"
Whats a drummond and would it have helped me?
A test light. A 2 pole tester would do the same. In your case there would be a path from supply side through the tester to consumer side to earth. It would have lit up showing you were about to connect a dead short. You would go 'hang on a minute' (hopefully).

It’s all “exciting” and “ gung ho” when things go bang…. But accidents do happen…

Why do the real DNO guys wear rubber gloves, safety goggles and a fully paid up life insurance policy.

Are you the same king of cretin that flies up the motorway at 100mph, just for the thrill?

This thread is in the public area of the forum, and you’re not painting a very professional picture of yourself at the moment.

I think more care should have been taken bearing in mind it was known the fuse had already blown once. And we all hopefully know how much current must have flowed for that to happen.

It’s all “exciting” and “ gung ho” when things go bang…. But accidents do happen…

Why do the real DNO guys wear rubber gloves, safety goggles and a fully paid up life insurance policy.

Are you the same king of cretin that flies up the motorway at 100mph, just for the thrill?

This thread is in the public area of the forum, and you’re not painting a very professional picture of yourself at the moment.
Firstly I don't need to paint a professional picture of myself, I'm just an anonymous smuck on here, I won't lose any work over it. Secondly whats with the virtue signalling, preaching that anyone who does 100 mph is a cretin yet you more than likely do 30 past a school at kicking out time without a care in the world which is far more dangerous than 100 on a motorway.

I put a fuse in, it went bang, so what.

I'm going to give you a line from my old gaffer. He's dead now (from old age) and had a lifetime of electrical experience.
"Many people turn on and hope it won't go bang. We are electricians and we only energise if we know it won't go bang. It's less exciting but we live longer"

A test light. A 2 pole tester would do the same. In your case there would be a path from supply side through the tester to consumer side to earth. It would have lit up showing you were about to connect a dead short. You would go 'hang on a minute' (hopefully).
And yet everyone I know has a story of a big bang that happened to them, I've never met an electrician yet that hasn't had quite a big shock at some stage despite being a professional, I'll bet you have, sometimes things go wrong and 99.9% of the time you live to tell the tale, ---- happens.

As for the tester, wouldn't it light up anyway with a path through the meter as it was still wired in at that stage. The fuse I replaced (twice) was out of one of those isolatotor units where you get a pack of three 60/80/100 and when it didn't work my initial reaction was it must have been a cheap chineese fake fuse that just stopped working, no other explanation really.

Can you explain how a perfectly working cutout suddenly developed an absolute dead short to ground overnight without anyone being anywhere near it. I had a prod around inside it to try and see and the top of the carrier still looked like it was sat on an insulator to me.

So what would you do? You get to site with half a dozen other lads who all have mortgages to pay and the job is due to be signed off it 4 weeks do you say hey tough luck lads, its the DNO that replaces that fuse not me but they should be along in a few weeks if you are all ok with that. or do you get some power on by hook or by crook so everyone still has a job?

The last two jobs I've turned up at they have had to get an extension lead from next door and pay the neighbour £20 a week.
Not my problem.
You have a ruptured service head fuse, your solution put some copper across it, result bang. Not exactly level headed thinking is it you don't sound a very safe person to be in close proximity to.
Pray tell me you don't actually train people.

Instead of 100mph, i should have said "cretins, deliberately breaking the speed limit" just for the thrill of it.... and where on earth can you do 30mph past a school at chucking out time?
Not round here.... not with all the double parked Landrovers.

Reply to How easy is it to blow the DNO's cutout? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock