Currently reading:
How many EICRs in a day?

Discuss How many EICRs in a day? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

The contractor said he will only deal with C1s...broken rings would just be put down as a fail or C1.

So they would let people live in a potentially dangerous, unsatisfactory installation then? Nice. Broken ring is not a C1 (unless it's broken by a big hole in the wall with conductors hanging out) and putting it down as such to make them fix it cos they'll only fix C1s is just *removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
So they would let people live in a potentially dangerous, unsatisfactory installation then? Nice. Broken ring is not a C1 (unless it's broken by a big hole in the wall with conductors hanging out) and putting it down as such to make them fix it cos they'll only fix C1s is just *removed*.

Not necessarily. Somewhere in all this there is a line which tells us another company has the repair contract, as a result the property owner has most likely stipulated that the testing company are only to rectify any C1s they find.
Having done a fair bit of decent homes work in my time I can tell you that if a property fails it isn't unusual for tenants to continue living in the property until repairs are scheduled. Obviously if the place was lethal then they'd be moved out but those occassions are, thankfully, quite rare

Not necessarily. Somewhere in all this there is a line which tells us another company has the repair contract, as a result the property owner has most likely stipulated that the testing company are only to rectify any C1s they find.

Ah, OK, must have missed that one, cheers.

No .simple answer 2 if you are lucky 4 in a Day no hope on earth and any one who does then needs to replace there van with a Horse , an inspection is one of the most important part of the job and requires a lot of experience , no one to police it no one gives a Dam only time something will ever be done about these rushed EICR's is when an MP's Daughter gets Electrocuted after one was done ,after all that's how Part P originated

bit of luck would be a MP getting electrocuted. i'd expect a minimum of a knighthood.

says him who, for the last 2 years, has been too lazy to have a signature.

No .simple answer 2 if you are lucky 4 in a Day no hope on earth and any one who does then needs to replace there van with a Horse , an inspection is one of the most important part of the job and requires a lot of experience , no one to police it no one gives a Dam only time something will ever be done about these rushed EICR's is when an MP's Daughter gets Electrocuted after one was done ,after all that's how Part P originated

unsure of the details but from what I remember it was a handyman putting up a cooker hood that caused the fault that killed her, so not sure where the eicr comes in to it.

Definitely just the one for me.. and that doesn't include getting all the paperwork completed!

Think you're all missing the point, ....the OP has been officially told the company allows 2 hours per EICR!! Which as we all KNOW is an impossibility, unless there are that many limitations being made, to render the EICR a totally pointless exercise in the first place...

So if this is an official company policy for this housing association contract, (2 hour EICR's) then something is very wrong!!

Agree with 54 bloody firms like this one the OP describes are nothing but Rooster Cogburns (cowboys) someone in one of the scams, politicos or the ESC should be on them like a dose of the pox

If it were just the EICRs that would be one thing. The lack of company vehicle until end of contract, the day rate of pay, just taking on light commercial maintenance and PAT testing for speed of job completion. The recruiter lying to me about the large number of sparks hired in one hit. As I said, I am in no position to turn down work but even then, the "salesman" said he hires people to do these EICRs and they fail to deliver! So when I only manage 2, I'll be out the door......

Mate, they are con merchants, taking the proverbial, extracting the urine, I appreciate it's work, but at the end of the day it's your name on the piece of paper, because that's all it represents, 4 EICRs per day get real

I still question that regardless of the limitations etc ... areed with the client (who one assumes is not electrically competent) you as an electrical competent inspector are signing off a satisfactory report (again assuming its satisfactory!!) in the knowledge that everything has not been fully tested & inspected and its effectively worthless for electrical safety?. Does this constitute giving the client the 'professional' impression that the limitations are OK and the premises are safe (satisfactory for continued use)?. I would have thought as a minimum it questions the professional integrity of the inspector in doing it and issuing a worthless piece of paper?.

I don't know of a case where an 'accident' post one of these highly limited EICR's has been investigated and what the outcome was for the inspector. Was what the inspector did taken as totally acceptable or was there some culpibility on his shoulders for issuing such a report?

Anyone know of such a case?!?!

I still question that regardless of the limitations etc ... areed with the client (who one assumes is not electrically competent) you as an electrical competent inspector are signing off a satisfactory report (again assuming its satisfactory!!) in the knowledge that everything has not been fully tested & inspected and its effectively worthless for electrical safety?. Does this constitute giving the client the 'professional' impression that the limitations are OK and the premises are safe (satisfactory for continued use)?. I would have thought as a minimum it questions the professional integrity of the inspector in doing it and issuing a worthless piece of paper?.

As you say, the client is generally not electrically competent, and probably doesn't understand what is or is not appropriate re limitations.

I came across EICRs for a couple of care homes, where it had been stated that "up to 50%" of circuits would be tested, and guess what, the easy ones had been tested (e.g. immersion, cooker), and I was there because there were now issues with the untested ones. In this case, I think the original electricians had been a bit less than honest, because it was a surprise to the manager what had not been tested (and thus not found).

However, there are also those who are only having the electrics tested to get a piece of paper e.g. prior to letting, who don't really care what is actually done, all that matters is the price. I think in this case, the letting agents know but would claim to have done their job.

I agree and a fear that like a lot of electrical matters, until something goes terribly wrong and is addressed in a court of law we won't know the answer to 'liability' for an incomplete or heavily limited EICR! Is it purely down to the customer or does the inspector have some blame?

Not quite the same but similar to an MOT ...... you've passed and can get out on the road now but i havent done all these checks. However the radio, wipers and interior lights work!

These companies go in cheap to get the work, then you have to work your balls off so as they get some money back. I have worked for some. You have not got a chance in hell to do 4, 2 at most. Don't forget that most of the houses will be full of **** do as you will struggle to get to a lot of things which will slow you down. Walk away.

Reply to How many EICRs in a day? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock