Discuss How many LED downlights for my kitchen? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

3 rows of 4 would probably be right.
mark it out on the ceiling, see what it looks like.
how many spotlights is a million dollar question, it's all down to personal taste, shape of room, colour of kitchen units, the list goes on an on. That's why I say make sure you can add extra if required.
other ways - fit a dimmer (as mentioned) or put them on more than one switch.

If your on a budget wait six months to a year for the prices to drop,mate they are expensive most people ain't intrested cos of the price . Oh I think a prefere 12 volts more stable .

There are two lighting types for any kitchen

The first has about as near perfection for light levels,with minmum cost and very little shadowing,the lamps lasts for sometimes an eternity,they are also friendly to the "save the planet" geeks, however, fluorescents do not look as nice as Mrs Jones's decorative lights

The second type are more expensive,they breach the ceilings natural fire barrier,they have a completely inefficient mode of light for the workstation,require changing on a regular basis,the vast majority (when installed by diy homeowners) are nothing more than bunsen burners in the ceiling,,they are "planet changing"in their power consumption and with the disposal of the failed lamps,but they have one overiding advantage over system one,they look pretty

In work,I install type 2s for customers,however,I would not entertain having potentially dangerous and expensive garbage fitted in my kitchen :smile5:

There are two lighting types for any kitchen

The first has about as near perfection for light levels,with minmum cost and very little shadowing,the lamps lasts for sometimes an eternity,they are also friendly to the "save the planet" geeks, however, fluorescents do not look as nice as Mrs Jones's decorative lights
The second type are more expensive,they breach the ceilings natural fire barrier,they have a completely inefficient mode of light for the workstation,require changing on a regular basis,the vast majority (when installed by diy homeowners) are nothing more than bunsen burners in the ceiling,,they are "planet changing"in their power consumption and with the disposal of the failed lamps,but they have one overiding advantage over system one,they look pretty

In work,I install type 2s for customers,however,I would not entertain having potentially dangerous and expensive garbage fitted in my kitchen :smile5:

To be honest, i've never thought much of them either. My wife suggested them and i said no, but a single pendant type fitting isn't enough to light the room.

I was thinking of using one of those ELV 'track' lights where the lights are suspended off of 2 parallel wires (know what i mean?), but the massive transformers look rubbish. I'm open to suggestions as i really can't be aarsed fitting and paying out for LED downlighters anyway. They do look good for when selling the house though as women do love a "spotlight" arrangement in the kitchen...

Reply to How many LED downlights for my kitchen? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net