Discuss How to terminate SWA!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We still have some PILK cables in my area, any idea what era these date back to?
I tested a series of 3 columns wired in PILK the other day and the IR was >200 LN LE NE , my engineer told me afterwards these were the oldest in our county!

probably the early 50's.
and its PILC.
:)

Hello everyone, Well it very hard Job to work with SWA and most difficult is to terminate it. It is required that all connections must be correctly terminated using appropriate termination glands. Some proper glands are needed to terminate it. Like earth tag washer fitted between gland and glanded plates or enclosure.
eh?....

i give up...i really do..

Hello everyone, Well it very hard Job to work with SWA and most difficult is to terminate it. It is required that all connections must be correctly terminated using appropriate termination glands. Some proper glands are needed to terminate it. Like earth tag washer fitted between gland and glanded plates or enclosure.
a bit half way house is this...
so what if the enclosure was metal?..or would this be beyond your comprehension...

Going back the late 60’s early 70’s there were Al tape armoured 3 & 4 core solidal cables.
They were awful to work with.

If you go back even further, steel tape armoured. They would slice your hands to ribbons.

Can't say i've ever seen, heard or worked with AL tape single or multi core cables. I suppose there may well be AL armoured multi core cables around, but i wouldn't say that they are in common usage.

They still make steel tape and steel double tape armoured cables, and you're dead right they were and still are a real cow son to terminate. A good pair of tin snips are an absolute must have when terminating those buggers!! lol!!

So what's so hard working with, and terminating SWA cables?

Granted if your talking about cables of 3 and 4 core 240mm and above, you may well have a point, but then it's not going to be a one man job either, to work with these sizes of cables...

Ha ha sometimes it goes to show why you need to do a proper apprenticeship,

Hesse examples are dreadful however I once got a scotch cast kit without and way to bond the armouring a from an swa so my boss made me use an earth braid and 2 jubilee clips.

Just looks dreadful but I suppose no one will see it buried deep underground

Can't say i've ever seen, heard or worked with AL tape single or multi core cables. I suppose there may well be AL armoured multi core cables around, but i wouldn't say that they are in common usage.

They still make steel tape and steel double tape armoured cables, and you're dead right they were and still are a real cow son to terminate. A good pair of tin snips are an absolute must have when terminating those buggers!! lol!!

Much of Swansea's streetlighting is wired in either two or three core aluminium conductor/ aluminium tape armouring, finished in a green sheath. How well the terminations of the armouring (used as earth) has lasted, depends on how thoroughly it was installed.

IMG_0203.jpgIMG_0277.jpg

In the second picture I have removed the bridge ahead of stripping the sheath back to good ali and re-terminating.

Reply to How to terminate SWA!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net