Discuss Huibolong HTV60C1 transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, Im new to the forum and wanted to check something and maybe get some advice confirmation.

Ive got halogen wall lights which use a Huibolong HTV60C1 transformer, one failed about 4 years ago and i got a replacement from savemylight.co.uk. I fitted it and it was all good. Another one of the lights has now failed so I ordered a transformer from savemylight and when i got it i fitted it but the light still didnt work. Everything was checked to make sure it was wired correctly and there was no problem. To make sure it wasnt the light fitting i took a working light off the other wall and swapped the transformers. The none working light now worked and the working light now didnt work. So i must have a faulty transformer. I contacted savemylight to get a replacement sorted and to get the faulty one returned.

The reply
All units are tested before dispatch we do not dispatch faulty units.
Please ensure the SCO (Safety Cut Out) has not engaged. If it has the unit will not work and give no output.
I'm sorry but our returns procedure does not work that way. We do not send multiple FOC replacements without the product being returned back for inspection and testing.
You can wire a bulb directly to the output terminal to auto reset however the bulb power MUST meet the minimum load. If not it will not work.

After emailing back i explained exactly what i had done and that if it could be reset I would be willing to try that but how do I do it. The explaination wasnt 100% clear to me. What was the minimum load and how do I do it?

The reply
It is irrelevant whether you have purchased before that is not in dispute.
You will need an MR16 bulb or bulb holder with wire and connect directly to the 12v terminal block.

That really helped NOT. So I gave them a call and I've just found out that the number I called is a premium number and its cost me ÂŁ3.50 to ask the question which has annoyed me. I explained i had emailed to find out how to check the transformer and he said "ive replied" so a quick check confirmed he'd replied.. The guy was quite blunt and didnt seem to want to speak to me. He also said the unit was tested and working when it was sent so its my light fitting or my wiring. As ive swapped lights I know its neither the fitting or the wiring I asked if I could use a g4 20w bulb and he said yes. I said thanks i will try that and hung up.

Whats the difference between wiring the actual light fitting to the transformer 12v block and wiring a 12v bulb to the 12v block because I dont see a difference. There is a bulb with wire in between in each scenario.
I've already tried the light fitting and the transformer didnt reset so i wired a 20w 12v halogen bulb up and guess what, that didnt work either. The SCO did not reset.
I have been questioning myself and my intelligence over this for the last hour or two so I called my friends dad who is a sparky and after I explained everything he said the transformer is faulty.
Savemylight say I have to send it back at my cost and they will check it which will cost another ÂŁ10 and if its blown or found to be my fault thats the end of it and they will keep the unit. Well i have a good idea what the outcome will be.
I should be able to take it back and get a replacement under warranty as a defective unit shoudnt I?
As they are only a few miles away from me im going to take it back in person to ask for an exchange or a refund, probably a refund after the way they replied. Hopefully they will sort it and if not I used amex through paypal so they will get it sorted for me if I dont get any joy.
I have found an alternative, Aurora 35-105W/VA which provides more wattage but will work.
Has anyone else had issues with savemylight? How did you get it sorted?

Jord

If it's 3*20w per trafo you'd be better off with the aurora 100w rather than maxing out the 60w trafo

The aurora will be a quality unit too
Note: I dont usually have 20w bulbs fitted, i use 3 x 10w as they are bright enough. I put 20w bulbs in to see if it would make any difference incase the minimum load was over 30w.

Yes ive been looking at the Aurora transformers and will most likely be getting one as a replacement.

All i have to do now is get either a working replacement or a refund, probably the latter. In the meantime ive done exacly what they said to do to reset the "emergency cut out". my friends dad even popped round as he is qualified and checked everything before supervising me doing the so called reset by using an MR16 bulb in a holder which they told me will work, same result, but we all know it wouldnt do anything anyway and my friends dad confirmed the transformer is dead by taking some readings and stated if he has duff one from a wholesaler he just takes it back and they replace it, no quibbles. I have emailed them again to say ive done everything they stated and its dead and ive asked again to send a replacement and a prepaid envelope for me to send the duff one back but we know they probably wont be willing to do that, OR I can personally take it back as they are fairly local to me in Cannock and they can give me the replacement there and then and if it works when i fit it they will never see me again. I have a few things to tell them if things dont go as planned. So I shall see what reply I get before I also remind them they are solely resposible for the cost of replacng and returning the said transformer as its faulty and should check the Consumer Rights act 2015 But lets see what i get in reply first.

Jord

Note: I dont usually have 20w bulbs fitted, i use 3 x 10w as they are bright enough. I put 20w bulbs in to see if it would make any difference incase the minimum load was over 30w.

Yes ive been looking at the Aurora transformers and will most likely be getting one as a replacement.

All i have to do now is get either a working replacement or a refund, probably the latter. In the meantime ive done exacly what they said to do to reset the "emergency cut out". my friends dad even popped round as he is qualified and checked everything before supervising me doing the so called reset by using an MR16 bulb in a holder which they told me will work, same result, but we all know it wouldnt do anything anyway and my friends dad confirmed the transformer is dead by taking some readings and stated if he has duff one from a wholesaler he just takes it back and they replace it, no quibbles. I have emailed them again to say ive done everything they stated and its dead and ive asked again to send a replacement and a prepaid envelope for me to send the duff one back but we know they probably wont be willing to do that, OR I can personally take it back as they are fairly local to me in Cannock and they can give me the replacement there and then and if it works when i fit it they will never see me again. I have a few things to tell them if things dont go as planned. So I shall see what reply I get before I also remind them they are solely resposible for the cost of replacng and returning the said transformer as its faulty and should check the Consumer Rights act 2015 But lets see what i get in reply first.

Jord
Absolute nightmare. Got accused of threatening staff in an email because i said WE have other options if they were not going to help, said i was lying about premium phone charges and so i contacted paypal to sort it out ive had enough. Then I got another aggressive email saying In the retail world this is called 'Friendly Fraud' by falsing a refund with a payment provider. Very suspicious behaviour if I say so.
You cant win with this type of person. so im taking advice.
I can say anyone reading this, deal with this company at your own risk

Lee

Absolute nightmare. Got accused of threatening staff in an email because i said WE have other options if they were not going to help, said i was lying about premium phone charges and so i contacted paypal to sort it out ive had enough. Then I got another aggressive email saying In the retail world this is called 'Friendly Fraud' by falsing a refund with a payment provider. Very suspicious behaviour if I say so.
You cant win with this type of person. so im taking advice.
I can say anyone reading this, deal with this company at your own risk

Lee
UPDATE, after contacting Paypal, uploading all the emails and evidence the sending the transformer back I have now received a full refund including postage which has covered the extra bits I had to get to test it.

Reply to Huibolong HTV60C1 transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net