Discuss Hybrid vehicle charging advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Father in law picked his new BMW X5 phev.

Previously he had a 330e hybrid on loan whilst he waited for the X5.

With the 330e he charged the vehicle via an exterior 13A socket and the vehicle battery was 100% charged. The battery on that vehicle was a 2.4KW battery and a 2.4KW charging unit.

The X5 is a 3KW battery and a 2.4Kw charger.

He has charged the vehicle overnight and also a full 24 hours. The car never goes above 75% charged. He has spoken with BMW but they seem clueless.

He is getting quite frustrated so I said I'd post on here because it's full of knowledgable folk ;-)

My suspicions are that the charger unit itself is not capable of charging a 3Kw battery. It states it is a 2.4Kw charger. I'm not sure if that means it only charges upto 2.4Kw or that is charges 2.4Kw over a certain period of time.

Does anyone have any idea, knowledge or experience with these types of things?

BMW quote a 7kw charger taking 5hrs and 3.6kw charger taking 9 hrs to charge the battery, which weighs 2435kg, from empty to full so a 2.4kw will take a good while longer.

It doesn't mention 2.4kw charger in the ad blurb I saw.

From the podpoint website
1605562530074.png

Also;

Charging from empty to full takes five hours on a domestic charger with a 7kW output, or nine hours if you have a more basic 3.6 kW charger. While this might sound a little tame compared to the latest generation of 150kW chargers, bear in mind that the chemistry of plug-in batteries is a little different to those in pure EVs and that DC rapid charging requires a lot more hardware in the car

https://www.electrifying.com/reviews/bmw/x5-45e/range

Reply to Hybrid vehicle charging advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock