Discuss I have a project that i need some advice on.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok, so i purchased an Airbus A320 Reading Light from the cockpit and i want to convert it to a desk lamp that runs off standard mains.

The reading lamp: 28V DC @ 100Ohm resistor dimmer powering a 11.5W Halogen Bulb
The house: 200-220V AC 50/60

Solution 1: Try and use the existing 28V DC wiring loom and resistor with a step down converter and splice into the cabling
Solution 2: Remove the 'back house' stuff and replace with standard GU10 connector, standard dimmer module (upto 120W) with a UK Plug on the end fused with 1A.
Really love to help in getting the wiring side right with what i have (hopefully judged it right)- i have a box section i am building which the whole assembly will be mounted into later on..

I'd replace the lamp/resistive dimmer and fit an LED lamp. Go for warm white rather than cool.

Not clear picture on my phone, but some dimmers are not compatible with LED lamps.

Assuming it is compatible, then there will probably be a live in and a live out.

Make sure any connections are made in an appropriate manner, and pay attention to insulation and cable grips to avoid strain on connections.

Presumably this is for your own use rather than resale?

Last edited:
Not clear picture on my phone, but some dimmers are not compatible with LED lamps.

Assuming it is compatible, then there will probably be a live in and a live out.

Make sure any connections are made on an appropriate manner, and pay attention to insulation and cable grips to avoid strain on connections.

Yes, desk lamp :) the dimmer is preferred with halogen (i have some GU10 halo's aswell, low wattage if the LED one flickers).

Make sure any connections are made on an appropriate manner, and pay attention to insulation and cable grips to avoid strain on connections.

What size is that coil of mains cable you have? It looks a bit hefty. I'd have though 0.75mm would be something like.

Use a standard 3A fuse in the mains plug.

If it’s only for a light, you could go down to 0.75mm as suggested earlier.
you would have trouble terminating anything bigger into connections or possible cord grip.
Hi - -
so i have the 0.75 3 core -

So, am i right in saying Plug -> Dimmer (L into C, N into L1, E not required as plastic casing) then take another wire length and twist together the same L from C and N from L1 to the input of the GU10 bulb holder - would that work, dim and click on/off?

No that will instantly blow up the dimmer. It needs to be in series with the lamp, not parallel.

I don't understand why you would wnat to convert something like this. Surely just use as-is with the original lamp and dimmer connected to a suitable transformer?

No that will instantly blow up the dimmer. It needs to be in series with the lamp, not parallel.

I don't understand why you would wnat to convert something like this. Surely just use as-is with the original lamp and dimmer connected to a suitable transformer?
Wired up and working! just need to bore out the eye-socket to seat a GU10, 35W only to keep the temps on the cooler side, ordered the wooden pine box which will be stained and distressed and some decals to finish the touches.

grommets ready for the inlet power to be nicely secured and cleanly finished into the box body.

Reply to I have a project that i need some advice on.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net