Discuss IET NATIONAL CONFERENCE 2022 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AJshep

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone caught the first part of the IET National Conference last week. Dame Judith Hackit appeared as a guest and spoke about her "Grenville report" along with others including the chairman of the Engineering Council.

There was a strong theme based specifically about proving individual competence of electricians. We all know Dame Hackitt isnt to impressed with the CPS schemes and it looks like there's an idea to push this bill where main contractors building high Rise buildings (at the moment) will be required to use Engtech electricians.
If this goes through we will all need to pay out additional costs to members of the IET( or other charter) then Engneering Council as well as a CPS scheme.

It's really what the JIB gold card should be for. Whatever accreditation is used, it should be required that a certain amount of CPD is undertaken each year so that we stay up to date. I don't think EngTech currently fulfills that role.

It's really what the JIB gold card should be for. Whatever accreditation is used, it should be required that a certain amount of CPD is undertaken each year so that we stay up to date. I don't think EngTech currently fulfills that role.
I agree, no mention of the JIB or others like SparkSafe Ltp in the conference.
My issue find with Engineering Councils application is that you need to have another member to let you into the club.. seems a bit masonic to me.. Who you know, rather then what you know.

I do agree that the competence level has dropped, but it's probably due to watering down the industry over the last 20 due to the so called skills shortage.

Fully agree with the ongoing CPD thing. I often wonder how many sparks are keeping up to date with things like SPDs and type A/AC RCDs etc.

Reply to IET NATIONAL CONFERENCE 2022 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock