Discuss Illuminating light for inside of glass vase? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mosaic Girl

Hello again :) I am looking for a way to insert a battery operated light into a coloured glass vase, and don't know where to start - had a look at the Maplins and CPC sites, but haven't a clue.
Basically imagine a vase turned upside down, so the bottom is at the top, - the vase will eventually serve as base for an added bowl above. It occured to me that that base will look great illuminated - coloured glass showing though some mosaics, which means instead of just building some sort of foot to stabilise the whole structure, I could incorporate a bulb and a switch, battery operated, to give it an extra something.
So far I gather that LED lights would be best? - the vase is 30cm high, round, the diameter of the opening 6.5 cm. Mains access is not an option, so no wiring please, and as it will be an artistic feature piece the switch should be hidden underneath whatever base I will be able to build for it, or even be a touch switch. The glass vase is completely enclosed, so no idea if any heat would be a problem? It would be nice for the light to be strong enough to really shine all the way through the 30 cm of red glass. And obviously the battery ideally should last for ages and be easy to change.

Over to you good people, any how-to and where to find the necessary parts or even an all in one kit would be much appreciated :thumbsup: :)

If you don't mind drilling the shelf, I would be tempted to pick up a low voltage 10 watt kitchen under-cupboard drum light and connect it through a small LV tranny.
Mount the light in or on the shelf and the tranny underneath. If the tranny has flying leads fit a plug on the mains side with a 3A fuse and extend the LV side to the light. If it has internal connections, mount it under the shelf and use enough twin flex to reach a wall socket and fit the plug.
I would check that there is not too much heat on the vase from the lamp though.

If you don't mind drilling the shelf, I would be tempted to pick up a low voltage 10 watt kitchen under-cupboard drum light and connect it through a small LV tranny.
Mount the light in or on the shelf and the tranny underneath. If the tranny has flying leads fit a plug on the mains side with a 3A fuse and extend the LV side to the light. If it has internal connections, mount it under the shelf and use enough twin flex to reach a wall socket and fit the plug.
I would check that there is not too much heat on the vase from the lamp though.

Making anything is not a problem, but mains connection is not an option in this case, got to be battery powered...

Thread now closed.

Reply to Illuminating light for inside of glass vase? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net